In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Something's Fishy About the ATF's 'Fast and Furiou

big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
After the head of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) was found to have known about his bureau's botched gun-tracking sting, Operation Fast and the Furious, a number of observers expected him to be forced out of government. But today, Kenneth Melson, the acting director of the ATF, was reassigned to a Justice Department post as senior adviser on forensic science in the Office of Legal Policy.
Related: ATF Chief to Resign Over Mexican Guns Controversy

Announcing the shakeup, Attorney General Eric Holder praised Melson's "decades of experience" and thanked him for his "dedication to the department over the least three decades." Nowhere in the Justice Department press release was the mention of the congressional and internal DOJ investigations into the Fast and Furious operation, a failed sting that intended to trap Mexican drug cartel leaders by monitoring the illegal sale of guns across the U.S.-Mexico border but ended up having devastating effects, as Reuters explains:
"

Authorities had hoped they would be able to follow the guns to cartel leaders, but ATF agents did not track the weapons after they were transferred from the initial buyer to others. Some agents have said they were not allowed to continue the pursuit.

Instead, numerous weapons from the operation, which began in late 2009 and ran through 2010, have shown up at crime scenes in Mexico and the United States.

U.S. Border Patrol agent Brian Terry died in a December 2010 shootout on the American side of the border and two guns found there have been traced to the sting.

Calling Melson's role into question, a congressional probe on the matter "uncovered emails that showed Melson was regularly briefed on the botched operation," reports The Los Angeles Times. In another reassignment, CBS News reports that "the Assistant U.S. Attorney in Phoenix, Emory Hurley, who... helped oversee the controversial case is also expected to be transferred out of the Criminal Division into the Civil Division." Here's who's crying foul about the ATF shakeup:
Related: Mexican Violence Fueled by American Guns

Texas Senator John Cornyn, as reported by The Los Angeles Times:
"

Simply transferring Melson within the Justice Department did not immediately sit well with some critics... "Instead of reassigning those responsible for Fast and Furious within the Department of Justice," Cornyn said, "Atty. Gen. Holder should ask for their resignations and come clean on all alleged gun-walking operations, including a detailed response to allegations of a Texas-based scheme."

California Congressman Darrell Issa, as reported by the Washington Examiner:
"

"While the reckless disregard for safety that took place in Operation Fast and Furious certainly merits changes within the Department of Justice, the Oversight and Government Reform Committee will continue its investigation to ensure that blame isn't offloaded on just a few individuals for a matter that involved much higher levels of the Justice Department," Issa said in a statement. "There are still many questions to be answered about what happened in Operation Fast and Furious and who else bears responsibility, but these changes are warranted and offer an opportunity for the Justice Department to explain the role other officials and offices played in the infamous efforts to allow weapons to flow to Mexican drug cartels. I also remain very concerned by Acting Director Melson's statement that the Department of Justice is managing its response in a manner intended to protect its political appointees. Senator Grassley and I will continue to press the Department of Justice for answers in order to ensure that a reckless effort like Fast and Furious does not take place again."

Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley, as reported by Talking Points Memo:
"

"There's a lot of blame to go around," said Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa). "As our investigation moves forward, and we get to the bottom of this policy, I wouldn't be surprised to see more fall out beyond the resignations and new assignments announced today."
@yahoonews on Twitter, become a fan

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In March, the Big Eared Leader told us he had ordered a thorough investigation of Fast & Furious by DOJ.

Let's just be patient & wait for the investigation report; I'm sure that it will be released any day now.

Neal

"Mistakes were made." --- Barack Hussein Obama
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's your take on this, Big Mango?
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    those guns were supposed to evapotate into the cartels only to condense at crime scenes where they would be blamed on the US and incite an assault weapons ban. the only thing fishy is the cover-up and I hope it brings the DOJ to the ground. They are anti-american crooks and we know it
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You think?[xx(]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's the ATF, crooks and thieves for sure, that's my call on it Navybat !!!

The head of the ATF rolled off, maybe if we are lucky the rest will drop off also, doubtful, but we can hope for it !
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    In March, the Big Eared Leader told us he had ordered a thorough investigation of Fast & Furious by DOJ.

Let's just be patient & wait for the investigation report; I'm sure that it will be released any day now.

Neal

"Mistakes were made." --- Barack Hussein Obama

I think we need a fast and furious investigation OF the DOJ and the directives given them by our big eared, dear leader [B)][;)]
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im sure the people that were reassigned were following orders. Thats why they were transfered instead of fired. If they were fired then they would talk and im sure the others involved higher up did not want that. Just my 2 cents. David
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Holder needs to go now and we need to vote obama out in 2012
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you guys have an ATF office in your area the time to organize protests is now. Nothing else will get anything done. Carry Pitch forks so they know they will have to hang someone of the mob will.