In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Indiana schools ending cursive writing requirement

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in General Discussion
What are your thoughts on this?

MERRILLVILLE, IN (AP) - The days when Indiana's elementary school students were required to perfect the looping script of cursive handwriting are coming to an end.

Starting this fall, the state Department of Education will no longer require Indiana's public schools to teach cursive writing. State officials sent school leaders a memo April 25 telling them that instead of cursive writing, students will be expected to become proficient in keyboard use.

The Times of Munster reports the memo says schools may continue to teach cursive as a local standard, or they may decide to stop teaching cursive altogether.

Andree Anderson of the Indiana University Northwest Urban Teacher Education Program says teachers haven't had the time to teach cursive writing for some time because it's not a top priority. Anderson says students' handwriting is atrocious.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    How do you sign your name, if not in cursive?

Maybe they should just stop teaching history too, since that seems outdated too. [:(!]
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind

Just make yer mark pilgram.
    Thumb print ... retinal scan ... bar code on your forehead maybe?

--

Last year when Abby was in 3rd grade (she has now completed 4th), we moved at the semester break ... at the old school the teacher was going to start teaching cursive in the 2nd semester, at the new school the teacher did it in the first semester.

At our Parent-Teacher conference she said not to worry about it because there isn't much they do with actual penmanship anymore and cursive would probably be dropped in less than 5 years because nearly everything is keyboard. The teacher worked with her on it with her but she missed the class participation aspect she can read and write cursive but she struggles writing it a bit and only does it when she has too.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before the Type writer was a common thing people judged your Intelligence and education on your writing. If you ever look at old sign in books like at the county from the early 1900's and 1800's you will be amazed at how neat the peoples penmanship was.

My Parents and Grandparents all had beautiful hand writing. As a child "educated" in the 60's and 70's my writing is terrible and has gotten worse.

I have seen old handwritten ledgers that were written in by several people over many years and the handwriting is so neat and similar it is amazing.

I think its terrible they are going to stop teaching it. This country is getting so fat, sorry and lazy I doubt we will be around in 50 years.
    RLTW

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    This is how I sign my name X, I underline the X so no one can forge my signature.[:o)][:o)][:o)]
  • sgm hagsgm hag Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In trying to cifer any of the prescriptions any number of doctors I've been treated by in my 66yrs struggling thru life, I think proficient cursive handwritting skills haven't been a requirement for a long time!
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sgm hag
    In trying to cifer any of the prescriptions any number of doctors I've been treated by in my 66yrs struggling thru life, I think proficient cursive handwritting skills haven't been a requirement for a long time!

I think that's a doctor thing...

I'm a medical physicist, not an MD, but even my handwriting has gone to hell in a bucket whilst in graduate school [:D]
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    Before the Type writer was a common thing people judged your Intelligence and education on your writing. If you ever look at old sign in books like at the county from the early 1900's and 1800's you will be amazed at how neat the peoples penmanship was.

My Parents and Grandparents all had beautiful hand writing. As a child "educated" in the 60's and 70's my writing is terrible and has gotten worse.

I have seen old handwritten ledgers that were written in by several people over many years and the handwriting is so neat and similar it is amazing.

I think its terrible they are going to stop teaching it. This country is getting so fat, sorry and lazy I doubt we will be around in 50 years.

Go to ancestry.com and look at old census records. Some are very neat. Most are barely legible.[:0]
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Today this is all you need!!![}:)][}:)]

IMG_3685.jpg
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,251 ******
    edited November -1
    Indiana has all sorts of problems. This is just a symptom.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    i would love to have the penmanship of hannibal lecter, m.d.; but alas its not in the cards.

the fine motor muscles in my hands never developed properly. i was in catholic elementary school and had the sisters to deal with. no matter how hard i worked, i could never seem to write legibly. in 6th grade, i moved to public school and they tested me, discovering the above mentioned problem. there was supposed to be funding for occupational therapy, but it never materialized so it never got better.

then of course, theres the accident last year. so i'll never write like the good doctor...
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    It wouldn't be history if it wasn't OUTDATED.........[:D]quote:Originally posted by freemind

Maybe they should just stop teaching history too, since that seems outdated too. [:(!]
  • blazen91blazen91 Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will not need a name to SIGN when you have an assigned number!!!
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay anyone still can write the alphabet in cursive from memory? Right now I can't recall the capital form for "A", "J", "Q", "X" and "Z" [:D].

Over the years my signature looks worse and worse. I'll find some scrap with my signature on it and I'll sit there thinking who the hell wrote my name? And I live alone [:D].

Also gesshots how did you take the pic of them thumbs? Got yourself a third arm?
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try writing going up and down the page, betcha remember it all then

chinese.gif
  • RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    Our school systems all over the nation reflect the same problems, its not just Indiana.[V]

quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Indiana has all sorts of problems. This is just a symptom.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't written in cursive since grade school, it's always been in capital letters since. Easier to read IMO. My dad was the same way.
  • NiccoHelNiccoHel Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    I haven't written in cursive since grade school, it's always been in capital letters since. Easier to read IMO. My dad was the same way.

Navy did the same to me. All caps. Neatly. Like a typewriter.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had to learn using a pen you had to dip in an inkwell. Even so my handwriting is terrible. I have found that it helps a bit to use a fountain pen rather than a ballpoint pen. It makes you slow down a bit.
    The problem is that I can't find a real fountain pen anywhere. All the ones I can find use those expensive cartridges. I suspect that even if I did find one I would have a hard time finding an ink bottle.
  • GRIZZLY17GRIZZLY17 Member Posts: 1,676
    edited November -1
    DAMN those are the biggest club thumbs I ever seen!![:0][:0][:0]
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think cursive writing is a waste of time. Schools need to be developing students in math and science. Math and science will lead this nation, not a writing profession. [;)]
  • 7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All you need anymore will be the mark of the beast. [xx(]
    Get ready folks. [xx(]
    There will be.......
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had to learn it but I can't honestly write it today cept for my signature.