In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Whats your magic potion?

warrior2002warrior2002 Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in General Discussion
I usually use either Rem Oil or Tetra Gun Oil. I read where a Marine sniper said he and a lot of his counterparts used something they called Red Oil. It was a quart of HD-30 (someone else used a multiviscosity oil) motor oil, a quart of automatic transmission fluid, a pint of Marvel Mystery oil, a pint of STP oil treatment and a small bottle of Hoppe's #9 all mixed together in a gallon milk jug. He said the guns wouldn't rust in humid climates and carbon wouldn't stick. What do you use?

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the stuff I get premade.

web_ad_02.jpg

Really sticks to metal to prevent rust. Works great if you have rusted bolts to remove on your cars too.

Also so real fine steel wool and Kroil is great for removing surface rust.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    That mixture is for cleaning, not lubricating. You are using the correct oils. In a pinch, you can use 3-in-1 oli until you can get to the store to buy a good quality gun oil.
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ballistol. If you've never tried it buy a bottle of it and you'll be amazed.
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    Our gun club has a active Bullseye program with many retired servicemen .
    They all use Red Oil .
    One of my friends uses 0 weight synthetic oil .
    I have been impressed with it also .
    I bought a bottle of gun oil made by lucas oil treatment recently which is nothing but Red Oil as far as i can tell .
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My magic potion.... 18 year old Elijah Craig on the rocks.[;)]
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    BALISTOL TO LUBE/CLEAN all leather wood stocks and metals
    KROIL TO REMOVE RUST.However I suggest a copper pot scrubber. to remove rust even the finest steel wool will put minute scratches in bluing [V]
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sperm Whale oil but I have to watch out for those people from Whale Wars.
  • westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    BALISTOL TO LUBE/CLEAN all leather wood stocks and metals
    KROIL TO REMOVE RUST.However I suggest a copper pot scrubber. to remove rust even the finest steel wool will put minute scratches in bluing [V]

Ballistol is a great all around product. I use it for alot of things around here. From preserving my leather boots, lubing fishing reels, putting it on my vehicles battery posts to prevent corrosion and of course gun maintenance. It has alot of everyday uses to keep me going to the gun bench to use it around here.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One perk of working my hobby job at sportsman's warehouse was the wide array of lubricants, cleaners, solvents, etc.

I think I tried everything twice. I've thought about making my own red oil, but this is what I currently keep.

Gibbs oil for wiping down guns
    Proshot 0-friction for precise applications...actions
    l_749000638_1.jpg

Miltec-1 for slides/bolts.
    MPro-7 for general lubing
    Tetra for spraying
    Breakfree CLP keeps its place as well.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ballistol for everything......
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    militech and weaponshield
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    We used to use Break-Free on the wing and bombbay bombracks that were exposed to salt spray and sub-zero temps with no problem. I still use it today. [:I]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rem oil, Mobil 1, CLP, White Grease, Lubing guns is over rated, it is not like they are exposed to 5,000 RPM for hours on end. The slide on an automatic only moves a few inches then goes back. That movement does not induce a lot of wear.
  • redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by warrior2002
    I usually use either Rem Oil or Tetra Gun Oil. I read where a Marine sniper said he and a lot of his counterparts used something they called Red Oil. It was a quart of HD-30 (someone else used a multiviscosity oil) motor oil, a quart of automatic transmission fluid, a pint of Marvel Mystery oil, a pint of STP oil treatment and a small bottle of Hoppe's #9 all mixed together in a gallon milk jug. He said the guns wouldn't rust in humid climates and carbon wouldn't stick. What do you use?

doesn't sound like that would be good in cold temps , not with HD30 and STP in it