In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tigercat

m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
edited February 2015 in General Discussion

Comments

• merlinnmerlinn Member Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It most certainly is!!
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I don't know this aircraft at all.

It looks very interesting!

Was this an actual production aircraft? I can't figure out the landing gear with those two big props.

Share more! Please!
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    It looks fast.
  • wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Couldn't wait for more info.
    It was a Navy bird designed for air craft carriers.
    First twin engine fighter the Navy used during the Korean War.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Four .50 cal machine guns, four 20mm cannons, and two 1000lb bombs under the wings at 460 MPH. Looks like the Tigercat was loaded for bear!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought this was a kitten giveaway.[:(]
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    I don't know this aircraft at all.

It looks very interesting!

Was this an actual production aircraft? I can't figure out the landing gear with those two big props.

Share more! Please!

Actual production, though the F7F Tigercat was overshadowed by the F8F Bearcat.

The Tigercat had very little if any actual carrier service, as the early versions failed their carrier quals. They were used by the UMSC and were a very effective attack aircraft.

It was the first tricycle gear aircraft designed for carrier service, as well as, I believe the first twin engine aircraft, and was also the largest at the time of its introduction towards the end of WWII.

The line of Grumman 'cats' that served the US Navy did yeoman's work from the Wildcat of the 1930s and 1940s to the Tomcat of the 1970's through the early 2000's.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjH1jJW1o28

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

F7F Tigercat

Role
    Fighter aircraft

Manufacturer
    Grumman

First flight
    2 November 1943

Introduction

Retired

Primary users
    United States Navy
    United States Marine Corps

Produced
    1943-1946

Number built

Developed from
    Grumman XP-65

Variants
    Grumman XTSF

The Grumman F7F Tigercat was the first twin-engined fighter aircraft to enter service with the United States Navy. Designed for the new Midway-class aircraft carriers, the aircraft were too large to operate from earlier decks. Although delivered to United States Marine Corps (USMC) combat units before the end of World War II, the Tigercat did not see combat service in that war. Most F7Fs ended up in land-based service, as attack aircraft or night fighters; only the later F7F-4N was certified for carrier service. They saw service in the Korean War and were withdrawn from service in 1954.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Hmmmmm. Twin engines, short wings, heavily armed.... Kinda looks like a grandfather to the A10????
  • kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beautiful aircraft. The nose art looks good, too. I wish they could still put it on planes; it gave them character.