In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Interesting day at the range.

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in General Discussion
Well, interesting hour and a half, anyway.

Shot my custom Remington Model 581 and my BRNO #1 that I recently acquired. Ammo was Remington "Golden Bullets" and some basic Winchester HPs.

I have read many complaints about the Remingtons but I always said they worked fine in all my guns. OK, check that. The 581 didn't like them at all. About 50% misfires when feeding from the magazine. Dropped to 20% if I loaded them one at a time into the chamber with magazine in place and 10% if I loaded them one at a time into the chamber with the magazine out. What's with that? Why would the presence of the magazine affect firing?

No problems with the Winchester ammo. Worked all the time. However, the 581 did shoot its best group with the Remington ammo. Go figure.

The BRNO didn't have any issues with either brand.

The rifles...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

And the targets...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Results were close, but advantage BRNO. Best 3 shot group was 7/16" for the Czech while the best for the Remington was 1/2". What's 1/16" between friends?

The BRNO opened it up to a 3/8" lead shooting 5 shot groups. Its best was 7/8" while the 581 posted 1&1/4". Again, advantage BRNO.

PS: The BRNO preferred the Winchester ammo just a bit.
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like the Remington 580 series of rifles. I have 2 580's and a 581. One of the 580's I rechambered to 22 Mag. I also have a 591 in 5mm Mag that I have had for years

They are solid rifles like the 788's were.

Why did you cut the barrel down on the 581?

Those Burno's are nice rifles also. I don't have a rimfire but I do have one in 22 K-hornet that is a tack driver.
    RLTW

• DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like that when I got it. Belonged to a gunsmith who did a bunch of custom work on it and I bought it from the estate. I put the walnut stock on it a few months ago. Guess I did an OK inletting job to shoot as well as it does.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good shooting!1 in my experience the newer Remington golden the ones that have an orange star in the box that says "new and improved" is much better ammo than the older stuff.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.