In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Homeless

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited November 2015 in General Discussion
We have what is called Egan Warming Centers. Named after a Veteran who died a few years ago during a real brutal cold spell.

quote:The Egan Warming Centers will not activate tonight. We are no longer on Standby for Monday. We have exhausted our pool of willing and able volunteers and several host sites are not available tonight. This is a difficult decision and we wish we could do more. If you want to help us increase our resources, please encourage potential new volunteers to attend one of our two upcoming trainings on 12/1/15 at 3925 Hilyard from 6-8 pm or on 12/5 at 1166 Oak Street from 11am-1pm. If you are affiliated with a potential host site, please explore whether or not that might be an additional location we can utilize this year.

They were supposed to stay open thru Monday Night. Seems the Bleeding hearts in this area are bleed out. This was the 1st weekend they have been open this year and they could not even make it thru the full weekend.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    The homeless is something were not accustomed to around here.I know alot ask for it but their still human beings and should not just be swept to the side.Im glad none of my buddy's come here or know me here because I would make them mad.Yesterday evening I was at the jail running a alcohol breath test,I had finished all my paper work and briefly took time to talk to the Magistrate about doing a little boat fishing with him which I cant wait to do.Anyway as I was walking across the jail parking lot a Deputy was finishing up at the fuel pumps and he give me a what ya into yell and I spoke with him and he said he was fixing to answer a call to a local McDonalds.A homeless man claiming to be a vet was begging people for food.I told him I would go along and lend a hand which I really didnt have time to do.We get there and sure enough he was their and a sad look of disappointment came over his face when he saw us comeing,usually I like that look because you have caught a bad guy at something.We spoke with him and his first words was I just wanted something someone was not going to eat.It really bothered me,the Manager came out and ask us to give him a Trespass order not to be back.Well the Deputy did.He then used his radio to ask his shift supervisor what he would like him to do with the homeless guy.I heard with my own ears these words take him to the County line and let him out.(So the next County could deal with him).I voluntered to take him and as we walked to my cruiser he awaited me to open the back door.I said no you can set up front you have done nothing illegal I know of and NCIC has nothing on you."I appreciate it it sir he said"I told him to call me by my name he was my elder he wasnt supposed to call me sir.Its a pretty good ride from where we were at and where I was takeing him because I was takeing him to a shelter.He was amazed at my shotgun and how it was mounted in the middle of the front seat and locked only myself and other Officers know exactly how to release it.He started telling me about the use of shotguns in Vietnam,and I can tell 95% of the time if someone is lying and he wasnt.Well to wind thin up I let him out at a shelter that only offers shelter no food etc just a cot.Its illegal for me to give him money,so I ask him to step out and if he would just stand their for a minute.He was also amazed that my car doors lock automatically when we shut the doors.But I had $38.00 and some change on me I picked up a small rock and put it under it.When I walked back up to the man I told him "Sir its been my pleasure to meat you and if you look around down there where I was I thought I may have seen some change laying their".He extended his arm to shake hands and I could feel the heart felt thanks he had for me.The old gentlemen had a tear run down his face as he thanked me.I told him it was my job and I enjoyed his story's.He had told me he could not get Veterans benefits or food stamps because he had no address.Some may call me a sucker and maybe I am,but I know that man will sleep the next few nights with food in his stomach.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They all served,many gave everything.Not sure how accurate but I read the other day that one in four homeless is a veteran and out of these about forty percent are Vietnam veterans. Their treatment is the shame of our Nation.
    A Vet from the 60's
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why don't you give them a call and see where you can help out...just an idea
  • Options
    craigroopcraigroop Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tulsa has quite few resources,and people here are generous. Even with that we have a lot of homeless,and many are Vets. I was homeless once when I was young. I stayed in the woods,kept to myself for a while.Got a job and by winter had a place to live and work.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    Why don't you give them a call and see where you can help out...just an idea

I would volunteer for that if it was local. A good way to put my action where my mouth is, so to speak.
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by craigroop
    Tulsa has quite few resources,and people here are generous. Even with that we have a lot of homeless,and many are Vets. I was homeless once when I was young. I stayed in the woods,kept to myself for a while.Got a job and by winter had a place to live and work.

wow
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The problem is these sites are not just for veterans.

The problem here is the More we help the More that arrive. the Mayor tried to say the city was in a state of Emergency from all the Homeless.

They have now started a program they can sleep on city property from Dusk till Dawn this was just voted in this last week.

I may seem heartless but we are being overrun.
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Appears they are in Eugene,Oregon. They take donations of blankets,food etc.You can volunteer to work shifts but must attend a class first.I am Upstate NY, wished I were near Eugene.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 4205raymond
    Appears they are in Eugene,Oregon. They take donations of blankets,food etc.You can volunteer to work shifts but must attend a class first.I am Upstate NY, wished I were near Eugene.

Again its not just vets.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel sorry for children,not grownass men and women...I will do most anything to help a child in need , but grown ups need to take care of them selves....black,white indian...doesn't matter to me....There have been bums since the beginning of time...[xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    I feel sorry for children,not grownass men and women...I will do most anything to help a child in need , but grown ups need to take care of them selves....black,white indian...doesn't matter to me....There have been bums since the beginning of time...[xx(]

We have a church that does a really good job with Moms with Kids. They even get them going again and help in getting a place to stay and work.

Most of the rest of the Homeless could go their but they have to be straight no drugs or booze.
  • Options
    CoolhandLukeCoolhandLuke Member Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie

Agree 100%, people that make bad decisions in life should brace up for whatever consequences that brings.
    Bums will be bums military or not.
    We have to fight so we can run away.
    Capt. Jack Sparrow.