In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tell me why

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited January 2015 in General Discussion
When I look forward to stopping somewhere for a meal like a big name truckstop with a big fancy restaraunt the food is either so so or outright lame? Them I go to some small greasy spoon diner and the food is excellent and cheaper than the big name place!

Iowa 80 Truckstop, the worlds largest truckstop, just had breakfast that the Army cook at Camp Cobra would have put to shame and this cost me $15.00!!!

Comments

• Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    luck of the draw anymore. Depends on the cook and the mood they are in.
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The smaller 'mom&pop' places use family recipes that have been passed down for years. The larger corporate places use 'corporate generic' recipes that were developed to be passable, but nothing special.

The best Mexican food I ever had was at The Taco Palace in OKC. A tiny, 7-table place that was run by a family that immigrated from Mexico years ago. It looked like a dump, but the food was better than anything I've had at Corporate places costing 5-times more.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wife and I were out goofing off one day and saw a tiny little restaurant in McDonough, GA that we decided try since there were a lot of cars in the parking lot. It looks like an old time company house that's sorta run down. That turned out to be the best country home style food on an all you can eat buffet that we've had out in a restaurant in many years. For $7.50 you have a choice of 4 or 5 different meats and to many vegetables to count with a salad bar and desert bar and it also includes Tea and taxes. It's out of our way but we go back quiet often.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MA HALES, grand tower Illinois. moms home cooking smorgasboard. best food anywhere and a 110 pound stuffed alligator snapping turtle above the entrance. this place was the Southern Illinois U. college football player's dream restaurant when coming back from a road game to SE Missouri.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The mom 'n pop greasy spoon has some skin in the game. Bad food puts them under quick.

A truck stop is going to pull customers under just about any circumstance.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    The wife and I were out goofing off one day and saw a tiny little restaurant in McDonough, GA that we decided try since there were a lot of cars in the parking lot. It looks like an old time company house that's sorta run down. That turned out to be the best country home style food on an all you can eat buffet that we've had out in a restaurant in many years. For $7.50 you have a choice of 4 or 5 different meats and to many vegetables to count with a salad bar and desert bar and it also includes Tea and taxes. It's out of our way but we go back quiet often.

If I may offer a slight correction Smitty...
    That old country place has become a "DESTINATION" for y'all.The other places and things y'all see on the way there and back,THEY are "kind of out of your way"...[:D][^][:p][:)][;)]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our paths just about crossed.. I ate there Thurs morning. Was it still windy ? Had something like a 35/40 mph crosswind
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Only one I would stop at to eat in my area.

http://www.truckntravel.com/

But if you want good

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/134/907663/restaurant/Eugene/Sunrise-Cafe-Pleasant-Hill

The bad waitress reviews have changed they changed ownership and the old owners wife was that waitress she was the reason I quit eating there. The cook bought them out so same great food and a new waitress who does her job.
    Just have to walk a bit is you drive a truck. Nearby side street or the parking lot of the store next to it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Grumpy, I saw a place in Eugene I wanted to stop but it wasn't a dining facility, real neat looking indoor range right off of 5 coming into town. Saw they had gun rentals and machine guns, the autos don't interest me as much after shooting several as the cost kills the fun. Still rhink it would have been a neat place to stop and check out if I had more time that day. Maybe next trip.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    S-F, I came across 90 to 29 and on to 80, been a long slow ride! Now I'm on 74 heading slowly towards 65 and Louisville, KY.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Barons Den, Get off on that road and parking would be a real bear and turn around good luck.

Kind of Spendy, been trying to talk myself into joining their shooting league.

They also sell guns not to bad of prices.

This the place.

http://www.thebaronsden.com/

Also have to ad right up the street is the Tannerite store Buy Direct.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same trip for me thurs, left cedar falls,Io. at noon
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The big ones can be hit and miss and it really depends who's cooking that day. There is a bar restaurant nearby and everytime I go there the food is different. Ate there 3 times in the last month and the food has been all over the place. That's why you can't rule on a place after one visit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've noticed that too with some places. I never get the breakfast buffet even though it's cheaper, I want my breakfast hot and fresh off the grill. This morning I think the waitress went to the buffet and filled my order [:(!]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rice Hill do not stop there, the only good place is now closed.

Also have you noticed that Rice Hill is in a Valley and Rice Valley is on a hill.

I drive that way a lot so my mind goes off on things like this.

But just a little south of there is Sutherland. I stop at this place most trips to the VA Hospital.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g52086-d4065889-Reviews-Apple_Peddler-Sutherlin_Oregon.html

There is truck parking there.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141
    The smaller 'mom&pop' places use family recipes that have been passed down for years. The larger corporate places use 'corporate generic' recipes that were developed to be passable, but nothing special.

The best Mexican food I ever had was at The Taco Palace in OKC. A tiny, 7-table place that was run by a family that immigrated from Mexico years ago. It looked like a dump, but the food was better than anything I've had at Corporate places costing 5-times more.

I had that experience at a small hole in the wall that was bought by a Guatemalan family. The menu was handwritten on a chalk board and was whatever grandma was cooking that day. It was like taking a 45 minute mini-vacation to central america. Food was delicious and after I finished she brought me out dessert that I didn't order and gave it to me. Some kind of banana/plantain dish with a sour cream sauce. One of my favorite desserts I have ever had and no idea what it was called.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141

I had that experience at a small hole in the wall that was bought by a Guatemalan family. The menu was handwritten on a chalk board and was whatever grandma was cooking that day. It was like taking a 45 minute mini-vacation to central america. Food was delicious and after I finished she brought me out dessert that I didn't order and gave it to me. Some kind of banana/plantain dish with a sour cream sauce. One of my favorite desserts I have ever had and no idea what it was called.

Little Dive of a place.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/korea-house-restaurant-eugene

But talk about good. There is always Koreans eating in there. This is where the Foreign college students eat to get a taste of home.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was longhaulin, I always tried to get routed by this place. Family owned and operated, 4 generations working in there at any time, and the best home cooked style food in the lower 48.
    Tomahawk Cafe & Truckstop, Hershey,Nebraska
    http://www.activediner.com/tomahawk-truck-stop-kitchen/restaurant/hershey/ne/us/map/492024
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Hole-in-the-Wall favorite was in Miami a few years ago. The owner of the plant I was building asked if I liked Cuban food. I said I had never had any, but I will try anything.

He loaded me in his car and took me to this crummy looking little place that I figured should have been condemned for a half dozen reasons.

To this day I have no clue what I was eating, but it was spectacular. He told the owner that I was a Newbie and to impress me. He darn sure did.

I agree with the basic rules to avoid the big places and chains and find the little places. Those little places live or die on their food and service....and they act like it.