In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

GB metal workers and welders (question)

Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
edited September 2014 in General Discussion
I have a small project I want to tackle and am somewhat discouraged because of the cost of the hinges I would need to purchase. I basically want to take an existing 4'x8' fence panel and split it in half to make two swinging portions of a gate.

Are there any GB Members who could fabricate the hinges below for a fee? I've attached a couple of photos below which should clarify my requirement more clearly than I could articulate. All I need are the rough-finished product. I can grind, sand, and paint them in rust-proof paint once the craftsman has completed the hinges.

If anyone is interested in assisting with this project, please let me know. Thanks for looking at the project, I appreciate any advice you guys might have.

NS

Slide1_zps5e028ffc.jpg

Slide2_zps6bff2bcb.jpg

Comments

• Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    The challenge has been issued... [:D]
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i can do it, then we just put BIN on them, 6 of them, right?

but look at these drawing for what could be used, lets say door hinges for the body then at the end of lowes/hd store there are steel blanks.

four, 3ft. sticks cut in thirds bent 2x4 shape.

drill holes and mount it all, your done before the mail could get there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by evileye fleagal

but look at these drawing for what could be used, lets say door hinges for the body then at the end of lowes/hd store there are steel blanks.

Evileye Fleagal:

I think I could make them, but I don't own a welder. How much do you think your BIN would be for six (incl. shipping)? I can take care of the drilling of the holes on the legs. Are there "blank" hinges which are not pre-drilled?

NS
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Night Stalker
    quote:Originally posted by evileye fleagal

Evileye Fleagal:

I think I could make them, but I don't own a welder. How much do you think your BIN would be for six (incl. shipping)? I can take care of the drilling of the holes on the legs. Are there "blank" hinges which are not pre-drilled?

NS
    its been forever since i purchased hinges,i would think $25 for a pack of them. those straps 7/8 dollars each. thats 50ish there

i am sure you can drill through straps in hinge hole too, them pop a couple more top an bottom. use those aggressive wood screws 5/16ths tapered and not need welding.

any muffler shop would weld them if you had them put together, for a quik twenty.

you are ready gonna get dirty might as well stand back with a cold one lookn at a job well done, by you for you.
    i would say id have 18$ each in them plus shippn.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My only Advice, before you set the hinges. block up your gate at least a 1/4" above level on the open nose. I guarantee it will sag. gate1_zps1fe3ff30.jpgThis is true for any gate from about 25lbs up. Last 300lb gate we hung was blocked up about 1" over plumb on 8' still was not enough.

It may not be that critical to you, but that's what I have to deal with.

Bottom arrow reveal 3/4" to 5/8"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great advice fella's. I think I'll try to tackle this project on my own and post some progress for the team.

It'll probably be later this fall. I am preparing for comprehensive written exams and oral defense, dissertation prospectus proposal, dissertation completion and defense.... and be done with school this December. I don't have a lot of spare time on my hands right now, but this project may provide a mental break over the next couple of months.

Thanks again for all the feedback. It's greatly appreciated.

NS
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    NS,,,,,,,,,you want your diagonal brace running the opposite from what you show.

The brace needs to run diagonally from the 'load' side to the bottom hinge side,,,,,,,,this will minimize any sagging.[;)]

Even with barrel hinges, 1/16" play over 4' it's gonna drop.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I thank you both.

NS
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no way (unless a person is really "giving away" their time -- i.e. doing you a favor) where someone can custom fabricate a set of hinges for less than what you can buy mass-produced ones for. The "economies of scale" apply here, you cannot do custom for anywhere near the (low) price of mass-production.

And you simply don't have any project that requires "custom" -- making and hanging a fence gate is a very standardized job with plenty of mass-produced hardware options to choose from.

Edit for additional comment: You're also going to want to probably reset your posts in concrete (depending on soil conditions), or at least do some sort of "tie back" from the top of the soon-to-be gate-post to the bottom of the next one. You may not have good stability from the current post (again, depending on soil conditions and original installation details).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by competentone
    There is no way (unless a person is really "giving away" their time -- i.e. doing you a favor) where someone can custom fabricate a set of hinges for less than what you can buy mass-produced ones for. The "economies of scale" apply here, you cannot do custom for anywhere near the (low) price of mass-production.

And you simply don't have any project that requires "custom" -- making and hanging a fence gate is a very standardized job with plenty of mass-produced hardware options to choose from.

Edit for additional comment: You're also going to want to probably reset your posts in concrete (depending on soil conditions), or at least do some sort of "tie back" from the top of the soon-to-be gate-post to the bottom of the next one. You may not have good stability from the current post (again, depending on soil conditions and original installation details).
    Good point.... sometimes I forget that I'm the type of guy that will- and has- jumped in his truck and drive 8 hours to drop off a couple hundred dollars to help out a buddy in need.

I wasn't looking for charity. I know GB members have some unique skills and to me, their advice is priceless.

Thanks for the advice on the post footing. How much do I owe ya? [;)]

NS
  • Options
    317wc317wc Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Run a separate brace for each upper and lower portion of the gate. Also as said that diagram is wrong, your brace should run from the lower hinge side to the upper opposite corner, this will minimize sagging.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    NS,,,,,,,,,you want your diagonal brace running the opposite from what you show.

The brace needs to run diagonally from the 'load' side to the bottom hinge side,,,,,,,,this will minimize any sagging.[;)]

+1 Forge is correct. With a configuration as he describes you will put the brace in compression rather than tension.