In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A sxs shotgun for a friend

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
A good friend and bird hunting buddy of mine shares a sir name with the maker of this old American SXS. I figure this is worth him having. I'll give to to him this fall. I may even take it out and kill a bird or two with it, the old gun deserves it.

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/670080337

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just be glad his name is not Parker or Purdey....

[:p]
    edited November -1
    But seriously, that is really nice of you.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LMAO, he would have to do without.

These were actually kind of pricey back in their time. I've looked at a few on the auction side before bidding on this one. The company moved to Canada IIRC in 1909, this one pre-dates that.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    But seriously, that is really nice of you.

Thank you
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mfg in 1871 so it's black powder, not mentioned in the description so check it out good. Very nice gesture [;)].and SxS.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    Mfg in 1871 so it's black powder, not mentioned in the description so check it out good. Very nice gesture [;)].and SxS.

Thank you.

According to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobin_Arms The patent is 1893, they started making them around 1903. Hoping it's not black powder, but will order special ammo if it is. They are supposed to be fluid steel barrels not Damascus.
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5

Thank you.

According to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobin_Arms The patent is 1893, they started making them around 1903. Hoping it's not black powder, but will order special ammo if it is. They are supposed to be fluid steel barrels not Damascus.

Sorry, I misread/interpreted the serial # 1871 as the mfg date [B)], looks like your good to go [:)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5

Thank you.

Sorry, I misread/interpreted the serial # 1871 as the mfg date [B)], looks like your good to go [:)]

I'll measure the chambers when I get it. Even if it is 2 3/4" all it will ever see is field loads, no high brass. If it's 2 1/2" it's special order ammo of course.

In a gun this old it may be a good idea to shoot low pressure loads anyway. I may just order some, it's not going to get shot much anyway, so cost isn't really an issue.
  • thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in those days the chambers were usually 2 5/8", mainly because only roll crimp shells were available.
    When I was reloading shot shells, the 1 1/8 ounce loads always had a 10,600 psi rating. I found that loading 1 ounce shells dropped the pressure to 9,000psi. Federal shotshell loads of 1 ounce have the least hottest primer and pressure around 9,000 psi, and the fastest speeds of around 12,500fps. It's roll crimp shells that will be hard to find, I hope not.
    edited November -1
    Never know what you run across. 5 years ago found a Hopkins & Allen 3rd mdl hammerless sxs in a pawn shop. Gun did not appear to have a box of shells through in. 100 years old, fluid steel, 2 3/4 chambers. Took it out for opening day of dove season and put some feathers on it!

Love them twoce hole shootsguns (as they say in Louisiana)
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll bet that old gun has some stories to tell! Hopefully you and your buddy can give it more stories to tell.[^]
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey brother, I just changed my sir name to Browning. I Sure would like to have one of those side by sides[:D]
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That will be a gift your friend will treasure.

That gun is certainly not a safe queen. That old girl was somebody's hunting partner for many years. Cared for, but put to use. The very best kind.

You did good.