In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

simply AMAZING

spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in General Discussion
I was at the Waterford Fair in northern VA this weekend, wandering around and taking in the sights. Lots of neat stuff, tranditional craftsman ship and so forth.

I'm wandering down the street and there's a little sign that says gunsmith. I duck into this TINY shop, and there's a fellow making flintlock rifles using period tools.

I chatted with him for about ten minutes, talking about browning and blueing barrels and getting the wood for his stocks and all the rest of it. He worked for years in Williamsburg making rifles. I asked about a gorgeous rifle he had hanging on the wall, with what looked like a tiger maple stock. We talked about it, and he told me how he made ALL of it. Stock, lock, barrel, the whole thing. Amazing craftsman ship. I asked him if he makes rifles as a hobby or for museums or for private sale. He says occasionally he does one for private sale. I ask him how much one like the one on the wall would cost.

Does anybody want to guess? Totally handbuilt, stunning craftsmanship. Some engraving, but just a bit.

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how many in this country believe and scream that every poor, illiterate, unskilled, diseased and displaced in the world has a RIGHT to come from their failed countries and be given FREE everything of a modern society worked for and paid for by people who have EARNED the benefit of living in at this higher level...who believe that a border to a country is an impediment to access by hordes of unknown who wreck everything they come in contact with as they swarm across...AND that citizens who want to protect the improvement and modernization of a nation are inherently EVIL...with NO politician i have heard of willing to take a number of these into their own mcmansions and legally bind themselves to the criminal, financial and civil outcome of this action
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a few constitutional scholars here who could answer more correctly, but as far as I am concerned my house my rules.

IF I let you come here you can, no one has a right to be here unless they came from my loins or were invited.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    and they would be the first ones accusing the government of not doing enough to prevent terrorist attacks

hell we cant even survive a decent hurricane without blaming government
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    how many in this country believe and scream that every poor, illiterate, unskilled, diseased and displaced in the world has a RIGHT to come from their failed countries and be given FREE everything of a modern society worked for and paid for by people who have EARNED the benefit of living in at this higher level...who believe that a border to a country is an impediment to access by hordes of unknown who wreck everything they come in contact with as they swarm across...AND that citizens who want to protect the improvement and modernization of a nation are inherently EVIL...with NO politician i have heard of willing to take a number of these into their own mcmansions and legally bind themselves to the criminal, financial and civil outcome of this action

one word answer is all that is required: DEMOCRATs
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,512 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No one is arguing that anyone has a right to enter this country.

It has been found, apparently, that someone holding a valid visa, even though they have never entered this country, deserves Constitutional Due Process before that entry can be denied.

While I sympathize with those people to some extent, my emotional reaction cannot be twisted into Constitutionality.

Robards and the 9th Circuit Court, IMO, followed those emotions rather than the law.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still feel if they want to come fine, BECOME AMERICANS, learn english and follow american laws and values. Most of the imigrants nowdays just want to live here, draw welfare, and turn our country into the one they just left...........[:(!][:(!][V]
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,740 ******
    edited November -1
    I don't get it. Why do the have to come here to get the rights and benefits of American citizens?
    Why not send a check to every poor s.o.b. in the world that wants one?
    Wait, check that. I don't want to give the liberals any ideas.
    Seriously, I believe the United States Constitution only applies to U. S. Citizens.
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beware the carbon tax. It will take American income and distribute it overseas.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    No one is arguing that anyone has a right to enter this country.

It has been found, apparently, that someone holding a valid visa, even though they have never entered this country, deserves Constitutional Due Process before that entry can be denied.

While I sympathize with those people to some extent, my emotional reaction cannot be twisted into Constitutionality.

Robards and the 9th Circuit Court, IMO, followed those emotions rather than the law.

Spot on, Don. I have read both Robart's decision and the one from the 9th Circus, and both are studies in judicial folly. Politics over precedent and the law. If it was sily crap like people who identify as a carrot being allowed access to the vegetable aisle, it wouldn't be of as much consequence, but this ruling from that collection of boobs needs to be stopped.

Where else can you have a group that gives its legal opinion, is overturned 86% of the time, and retains their jobs? The judges on the 9th ought to be removed for incompetence.