In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope opinions needed.

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in General Discussion
I need 3 scopes, two for slugguns and one for a 30-06.

The slugguns shoot 3" mags and kick like hell. The 30-06 is a Rem 760 pump and kicks like hell. The scope on the 30-06 has finally croaked, that was the 5th scope in 20 years on that gun, it kills scope because of the sharp recoil. The sluggers may not always shoot 3"ers but that option needs to remain available, I know repeated firing of 3"ers are going to kill scopes.

I want scopes under $200 each, for the 30-06 high magnifacation prefered and the sluggers 3-9x40s would be perfect. I'm having vision troubles with age and I hate covering an animal with crosshairs and I can't judge if I'm on the ribs, shoulder or guts, need to be able crank it up.

Are there any decent, tough scopes that will handle heavy recoil for that price range? That 30-06 has killed Bushnell, Trashco and the latest was a Walmart bought Nikon, it lasted the longest with probably 300 shots and the one Trashco lasted 2 shots.

Comments

• Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is what I use on my Remington 870 Wingmaster.
    $199 anywhere, wait for a sale.

SlugHunter 3-9x40 Matte BDC 200

1. Featuring spring-loaded Instant Zero-Reset Turrets
    2. BDC 200 Reticle
    3. Quick focus eyepiece
    4. Fully multicoated optics
    5. Designed for use with Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Match Technology

NIKON-Slughunter-3-9x40-Shotgun-Rifle-Scope-BDC-200-Reticle-6791-Pic4.jpg
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    burchieburchie Member Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir,
    I have an older 870 magnum that I set up many years ago with a factory rifled slug barrel and mounted a Leupold shotgun scope on it.
    I admit it gets shot only about 5 times a season, but it has never failed or moved in all these years
    Watch the auctions , once in a while the older scoops come up and sometimes sell well under retail of newer less quality scoops. I bought one for 152.00$ for my nephew a couple seasons ago. We Have very good results with 2 3/4"
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The proper rings, mount and Loc-tite will go alone way.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not go with Red Dot scopes for the shotguns?
  • Options
    patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Swift is a good buy for the money.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I cannot comment o a scope for the shotguns for your 06 look at the Swifts and Vortex My savage 110 in 06 wears a swift 3x9x40 and I am well pleased with it granted it is not as good as a Burris it still surprises me . vortex is an outstanding buy also
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burchie
    Sir,
    I have an older 870 magnum that I set up many years ago with a factory rifled slug barrel and mounted a Leupold shotgun scope on it.
    I admit it gets shot only about 5 times a season, but it has never failed or moved in all these years
    Watch the auctions , once in a while the older scoops come up and sometimes sell well under retail of newer less quality scoops. I bought one for 152.00$ for my nephew a couple seasons ago. We Have very good results with 2 3/4"

Do you know Lonnie?
    Call him "sir" frequently enough, and he might send Don to kick your *.

But yes, I've got a 2x, older. And your advice is solid.

[8D]
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,009 ******
    edited November -1
    Lonnie, Come over and check out our slug guns. I have a scope on my 12 and Denise has a fixed 2 power red dot on her 20.

Make sure the scope is ML/slug gun rated or you'll blow the cross hairs out.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know some here will criticize me...but try center point...it's a budget brand from Walmart,, Chinese made....I used one on a 30-06 with good success. It makes up for price in that it uses steel for its tube and not some space grade aluminium. They make 3-9 and 4-16 I think...some models even have an adjustable parallax.
  • Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/fullfield-ii-riflescopes-series/fullfield-ii-riflescope-2-7x35mm

I am a Burris fan....this one should solve all your problems.

+1

I have Burris glass over a Remington 7mm mag, which is the hardest hitting gun in my stable, and a 50 cal front stuffer. They are pushing 15 years of service with zero problems.
  • Options
    River_HunterRiver_Hunter Member Posts: 69
    edited November -1
    I would look at the Leupold VX-1 3-9 X 40 I just picked up my new slug gun about a month ago. A Savage 220 and decided to go with this scope. They are made for muzzleloaders and shotguns for handling the recoil. I wanted a good quality scope, made for shotguns, 3-9 x 40, and without the BDC. Where I hunt here in South Central MN it wont do anything but clutter up the scope as I am not shooting deer that far out anyways. Montana is the oppsite or course. I paid $199.00 at a local store. Just last week another store has a hunting sale going on and They had them listed at $149.99. A scope I'd recommend taking a look at.