In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

When We Went AWOL

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
The Air Force was beyond pissed. Just about everybody in our flight liked to hunt. So we all put in for deer tags and we got drawn for an area by Flagstaff Arizona.

6 of us got tags to hunt and 5 others went to hang out and get drunk. The weather was supposed to be nice but cold. The hunters took leave and left Thursday night.

The other people did not take leave and left Friday after work at 3:30. Well come Saturday a little storm dropped about 15 inches of snow.

The SHP shut down the roads out of the mountains and we got back on Wed instead of Monday mourning.

The Air Force was more mad that 11 workers were missing from the same flight than if it was across all the flights.

When i was in the flights F-16 mechanics/crew chiefs mostly hung out within the group they worked with.

After that when we would go off camping and stuff we had to let our bosses know and they would tell the people up the chain.

They were wanting to give us paper but we had paper from the HP saying the roads were closed and the HP called the base and told them we were snowed in.

The drinkers were mad because they run out of beer but we had food and girls so we were good. LOL

Comments

• Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    While at Camp Pendelton. I was to have an Evening Flight to Fallen Nevada for training. Ch 53 was to take us there.

So in the Morning I went to Carlsbad beach to party Was drinking MoJo. Good Stuff. Well the guy I went there with left me there so I had to hitch hike back. When he left he took my Wallet so no ID and No Money.

I get to the Back gate at Camp Pendelton way after the time I was supposed to be on the bird. So was really worried they do not take Missing a Movement lightly in the Marines.

But it seemed weird Nobody was mad at me. The duty driver even came to the Gate and brought me the Staff NCO who had duty that night.

He explained why they were worried. They thought I had made the Flight and was Dead. The bird hit high power line down by Las Pulgas and Killed all that were on Board.

Never heard a word about it later. The guy who left me at the Beach did get his Butt chewed out. But no Charges.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    While on I-I duty right here in Eugene. We had a surprise inspection team show up.

They were told to leave cause all the folks they wanted to see were out Elk Hunting.[8D]

After that we had to post when the different hunting seasons started to include Salmon Fishing. They knew we took that very Serious.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If only the AF had machines to use to get you.

During the Blizzard of 1977, Michigan State U was closed for the first time in it's history. Students couldn't brave going to class (it was more likely that the Profs couldn't make it) yet the whole town became on BIG party; Kegs on Toboggans, stores running out of booze, etc.

I managed to slosh my way from the Dorm to a house a mile and a half off campus for a Rugby team party. That was Friday.

Saturday morning (late) found me crossing the band practice field in the middle of campus. Occupying the middle of the field was a 'fella' in his Class A US Army uniform complete with overcoat. As I neared I heard the unmistakable sound of a Huey coming low over the buildings. That GI popped red smoke and the Huey landed, he climbed in and off they went.

No one, and I mean NO ONE believed me.
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    While at Camp Pendelton. I was to have an Evening Flight to Fallen Nevada for training. Ch 53 was to take us there.

So in the Morning I went to Carlsbad beach to party Was drinking MoJo. Good Stuff. Well the guy I went there with left me there so I had to hitch hike back. When he left he took my Wallet so no ID and No Money.

I get to the Back gate at Camp Pendelton way after the time I was supposed to be on the bird. So was really worried they do not take Missing a Movement lightly in the Marines.

But it seemed weird Nobody was mad at me. The duty driver even came to the Gate and brought me the Staff NCO who had duty that night.

He explained why they were worried. They thought I had made the Flight and was Dead. The bird hit high power line down by Las Pulgas and Killed all that were on Board.

Never heard a word about it later. The guy who left me at the Beach did get his Butt chewed out. But no Charges.

Umm WOW I think you owe that man a case of liquor.