In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR Scope mounts

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
I just finished my AR-15 with a quad rail and want to mount a 50mm scope. I've never used a scope this large. Can anyone suggest how high a mount I should use?

Thanks guys,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Full disclosure- this is probably the most expensive option.

Comes in 1? or 30mm tube.

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/779395475
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a big fan of aero precision. Of course the above mentioned product is top notch as well.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can mount a Piccatiny riser and go with lower profile rings. Some say the combination of the riser and shorter rings is sturdier and looks better.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,079 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    50mm bell on an AR? You'll need the "tall" rings and those pic rail spacers under the rings to get the "extra" height. My Bushmaster Varminter came with those extra height pic rail pieces.

Don't know about the Larue but if the scope is long enough you might be able to hang the bell past the upper if you don't have a full pic rail. Old school "round" free float hand guard would be your friend. Also if you're short you might be able to push it a wee bit further for the eye relief to make it hang past the upper.

Lots of variables at play.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will have plenty of clearance with an appropriate ar mount. Larue is my fav. American defense is good also.
    The standard mounts are co witness height with the regular height of the irons. It clears my 56mm scope
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The easiest, lightest, and often most economical way to gain the height you need is by using "high, see-thru" rings. The ones I use cost $15 and are just as straight, strong, and durable as the high dollar stuff.
  • Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 50mm scope on an AR is like buying a bulldozer to crush a cockroach. I'd save some money and go with something smaller that's within the range of the AR and not too heavy. The 50mm will add a lot of weight and 223/556 is hardly a 1000 yard round.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow, $179.00 is a bit out my price range though I'm sure they are a fine mount. I went with a one piece high see-thru from Vector Optics. Thanks for all the responses.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    I recently went with Vortex rings. Very happy with them.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WHY such a huge optic? The AR in 223 is a 400 yard shooter, the HUGE scope gains you nothing of value and is ALWAYS in the way when carrying it.

Find a used Burris Signature 1.5X6 and be very well served.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Reasonable question Bruce (and others). I'll make this as short as possible (won't be easy). I just had my last AR cerakoted and assembled. I bought 6 lowers just before obozo's first election. It's taken this long for me to get them together in various calibers buying dedicated uppers - .223, 9mm, 22LR, FN 5.7, and this last one 7.62. Back in 2000 or so G-W Wholesale had a 2 full page ad in SN for over a year. They claimed the were handling a court ordered liquidation (I didn't believe that for a long time). I ended up buying 16 firearms from them over many months. One of my last was a Ruger 77-44 in SS & walnut stock. Ruger never made one I thought and was right it turned out. When I went to pick it up it was SS/synthetic. My dealer called them, they checked their ad, and offered a refund & pay return shipping. I decided to buy another 77-44 in blue & walnut and switched the stocks. I called a week later for another purchase and asked to talk to the owner. I explained who I was, what I wanted to buy, and told him my 77-44 story. He knew about it naturally. I asked him to look at all my purchases in the past months and asked if he would discount my new purchase. He said that he couldn't as the judge set the prices but what he did was give me about 6 new modestly priced scopes. I'm just trying to use up the scopes hence the use of the 6-24 x 50. Hey, I tried to make this short!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    Reasonable question Bruce (and others). I'll make this as short as possible (won't be easy). I just had my last AR cerakoted and assembled. I bought 6 lowers just before obozo's first election. It's taken this long for me to get them together in various calibers buying dedicated uppers - .223, 9mm, 22LR, FN 5.7, and this last one 7.62. Back in 2000 or so G-W Wholesale had a 2 full page ad in SN for over a year. They claimed the were handling a court ordered liquidation (I didn't believe that for a long time). I ended up buying 16 firearms from them over many months. One of my last was a Ruger 77-44 in SS & walnut stock. Ruger never made one I thought and was right it turned out. When I went to pick it up it was SS/synthetic. My dealer called them, they checked their ad, and offered a refund & pay return shipping. I decided to buy another 77-44 in blue & walnut and switched the stocks. I called a week later for another purchase and asked to talk to the owner. I explained who I was, what I wanted to buy, and told him my 77-44 story. He knew about it naturally. I asked him to look at all my purchases in the past months and asked if he would discount my new purchase. He said that he couldn't as the judge set the prices but what he did was give me about 6 new modestly priced scopes. I'm just trying to use up the scopes hence the use of the 6-24 x 50. Hey, I tried to make this short!

Makes sense now. Enjoy seeing your 400 yard target crystal clear [:D]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The 50mm will add a lot of weight and 223/556 is hardly a 1000 yard round."

FWIW
    The diameter of the front lens have little to do with the range for which the scope may be suitable. Bigger front lens is purported to "gather more light" but on a " moderately priced scope", may not help all that much.
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    The TLDR is: he is using a 50 mm scope because already had one that he obtained cheaply.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    "The 50mm will add a lot of weight and 223/556 is hardly a 1000 yard round."

FWIW
    The diameter of the front lens have little to do with the range for which the scope may be suitable. Bigger front lens is purported to "gather more light" but on a " moderately priced scope", may not help all that much.

You're absolutely correct that a 50mm lens has to do with light gathering. That is why it's typically used for longer ranges so that the target is clearer.