In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Knew it would happen some day...

AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
edited September 2015 in General Discussion
but didn't expect it this soon. Was at the range with my 11 yo son today shooting 22 pistols at 10 yards. We use a 20 yard slow fire bullseye target to compete. He beat me. I tried to use the excuse that my pistol is sighted for 25 yards, but I really knew where to aim to make up for it (about an inch above x). He beat me fair and square. I need to spend more time at the range now.

Comments

• Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    SOmetimes it feels good to loose!![^]
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you didn't lose...you have taught your son proper firearm skills. thats only a WIN!
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by discusdad
    you didn't lose...you have taught your son proper firearm skills. thats only a WIN!

+1

You get used to it after while. My sons are 24 and 27 now. I have had the pleasure of recent visits from both and we hit the range for some spirited shooting and both can outshoot me with most of my own guns. My pride does not like it, but I am proud of them for their skills....
  • Options
    catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    You did a very good thing by teaching him. You should be proud.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Gents. I am very proud of him, but was hoping to keep beating him for at least a few more years [8D]
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep. Sometimes the end result is fun. My daughter was only 16 when she beat me in a bowling pin match. Me, using my M29 in .44 mag and her, using my wife's M27 in .357 mag. She had shot both guns before but had to use the .357 in the match because the .44 was my go to gun. Well, I bet her I could wax her good and that if she beat me she could have any handgun she wanted. Unfortunately, I said it out loud in front of my whole gun club. Ooooops. Boy, did I ever get hoorahed by the crowd. So, I admitted she beat me and asked if she wanted a nice .357 S&W, like the one she beat me with. She said "no way". She wanted a M29 in .44 mag. Many years later, she still has it and is deadly accurate with it. I watched her shooting silhouettes with it at 500 yards. Impressive. Kind of like a female Elmer Keith, but better looking.
    Raise them right and enjoy the years to come. [:D]
  • Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you had was a GREAT day.

I'm +1 on the comment that you didn't lose, you won all the around.

Don't forget how proud your kid must be as well!
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get use to it, It just keeps getting better and better, each time he beats you[;)][^] The pride inside will swell up into your throat[;)] At least it did for me when Chris started kicking my but at 10. Oakie
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are feeling down because your son beat you, take heart in knowing that someday soon he will beat one of your buddies.

A friend of mine gave me a crapload of grief when my son outshot me. Ask my buddy how it felt when my son bested him a couple months later.

He seemed upset. [;)][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,488 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AzAfshin
    Thanks Gents. I am very proud of him, but was hoping to keep beating him for at least a few more years [8D]

Context is everything.[:D]

I haven't beat my wife for around 20 years.

She is much better with a revolver than am I.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    ROY222ROY222 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you won and did not realize it until later.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

[B)]
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the student gets better than the teacher, the teacher has done a perfect job.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,488 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

[B)]

It's true, Mr. Ops.

When she first started shooting, I would beat her continually. After a matter of only a few months, however, she was continually shooting better groups and beating me more often than not.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What really bothers me though is that I can't teach him any more. He has so much more potential and I have no more to teach [:(]