In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Chaos Theory...or "butterfly effect"

ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in General Discussion
In Chaos Theory, the "butterfly effect" is the name given to the sensitive connection between initial conditions in which an insignificant event in one state in non-linear systems, can result in sometimes catastrophic events in the universal state.

In other words, although unlikely, it is possible for a butterfly flapping its wings in Texas to cause a typhoon in the Japanese Sea.

Case in point, in mid-20th Century America, a loose 18-year-old hippie female in a Honolulu college had sex with an older, alcoholic Kenyan man on a student visa, who had a wife and child back in Africa. And this less than significant event started the collapse and dissolution of the United States of America.[:)][:)]

Comments

• Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmmm, well, when you put it that way!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is all bunk. I have heard rumors that there is an all powerful being who knows what our future is. If such a being exists, there is no butterfly effect and no chaos theory.

Obama is his fault.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Franz?Franz? Member Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to look into Stanley Ann Dunham's lineage a little deeper.

Barak might well have come out with a tail and loud bark.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    It is all bunk. I have heard rumors that there is an all powerful being who knows what our future is. If such a being exists, there is no butterfly effect and no chaos theory.

Obama is his fault.

That of course presumes the all powerful being is incapable of utilizing such things as string theory to work his will. Seems a bit short sighted, if you ask me.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

Obama is his fault.

That of course presumes the all powerful being is incapable of utilizing such things as string theory to work his will. Seems a bit short sighted, if you ask me.

If the future is known, it is predestined and it matters not how one achieves the result.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1

Obama is his fault.

If the future is known, it is predestined and it matters not how one achieves the result.
    I didn't peg you as an "the ends justifies the means" type of guy.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1

Obama is his fault.

A bit of a jump, there don't you think, Mr. P?[:)]

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1

Obama is his fault.

A bit of a jump, there don't you think, Mr. P?[:)]
    I don't think so.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1

Obama is his fault.

All part of the plan. The ultimate evil must rise and be destroyed so that the ultimate good may prevail. "Why" is the most pertinent question. Entertainment value for the occupants of the Kingdom of Heaven? To cleanse and convert as many souls as possible, maybe? I dunno.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1

Obama is his fault.

However, the future is not known to us and that gives meaning to our choices and by extension we are responsible for those choices.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Certainly the Big O meant well. Just another puppet clown bought and sold by the industrial military wall street complex...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat

Obama is his fault.

However, the future is not known to us and that gives meaning to our choices and by extension we are responsible for those choices.

If your choices are known in advance by any entity, are they really choices?

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat

Obama is his fault.

If your choices are known in advance by any entity, are they really choices?
    To imagine a God not capable of allowing you to make choices without knowing what you will choose is to imagine a god too small.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Obama is his fault.

Partially TRUE: Obama is his fault. BUT There is a chaos theory and butterfly effect:

Chaos theory is the field of study in mathematics that studies the behavior of dynamical systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions-a response popularly referred to as the butterfly effect.[1] Small differences in initial conditions (such as those due to rounding errors in numerical computation) yield widely diverging outcomes for such dynamical systems, rendering long-term prediction impossible in general.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

A better analogy is a golf ball sized astroid bumping into a another asteroid and another until causing an asteroid to leave the asteroid belt, enter an "earth crossing orbit" which will lead to an ultimate collision with earth and striking a woman asleep on her couch.

On a clear afternoon in Sylacauga, Alabama (see map), in late November 1954, Ann was napping on her couch, covered by quilts, when a softball-size hunk of black rock broke through the ceiling, bounced off a radio, and hit her in the thigh, leaving a pineapple-shaped bruise.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/02/130220-russia-meteorite-ann-hodges-science-space-hit/

The example also illustrates the butterfly effect. ie: A very small change in initial conditions will create a significantly different outcome.

Assume the asteroid has an area of microscopic scratches on one of its surfaces When impacted by the first meteor, the scratches caused friction, resulting in an ever so slight alteration in the original course, which would eventually result with impact on a small African house injuring a child and causing a male Kenyan student to cancel his trip to a Hippie commune and cut short his stay in Honolulu. The woman on the couch woke up in time to watch "As the World turns".

Small, inconsequential as it seems, friction caused by one asteroid striking another in just the right place, billions of miles away are the ultimate cause of Alfred E. Obama being elected POTUS.

[img]http://www.websoft2000.com/gb/alfred e obama.JPG[/img]
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only solution I can see is we have to kill all the butterflies in Texas.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    I'll bet that 18 year old female hippy was quite a work of art.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you guys way over think this stuff
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ltcdoty
    In Chaos Theory, the "butterfly effect" is the name given to the sensitive connection between initial conditions in which an insignificant event in one state in non-linear systems, can result in sometimes catastrophic events in the universal state.

In other words, although unlikely, it is possible for a butterfly flapping its wings in Texas to cause a typhoon in the Japanese Sea.

Case in point, in mid-20th Century America, a loose 18-year-old hippie female in a Honolulu college had sex with an older, alcoholic Kenyan man on a student visa, who had a wife and child back in Africa. And this less than significant event started the collapse and dissolution of the United States of America.[:)][:)]

There's a problem. He was born in Kenya.

Wouldn't that change some kind of a Time Rift or something?
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me check with all knowing and all powerful Wizard of Oz.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******
    edited November -1
    Seeing that my mission does not allow me to do anything that will change this planet's future, I will just keep reading and keep my mouth shut. OK.....beam me up Scotty