In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Taurus Judge

JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
I've been thinking about getting one for a while to keep handy in my pick-up but have been hesitant, I've gotten a pretty decent offer on a S/S 3" Taurus Judge, does anyone on here own one or have any real shooting experience with one ? If so let it roll, good & bad.......thanks. Also: Intended use, whatever needs to be shot fairly close, snakes, wild dogs, squirrels & general knocking around fun. No stranger to shooting high powered handguns so that's not a problem.....I don't think [:D]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

Comments

• JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is your opinion on the 410 judge?

edited November -1
    Has anyone had any personal shooting experience with a Taurus Judge .45/.410 with 6 1/2" barrel, I've got a chance to get one at a great deal from a relative. The distance involved makes shooting prior to trading prohibits my trying it out first, I've have always kinda wanted one for .410 shooting. Question, what would you compare the kick/blast to if several rounds are popped off as in snake killing, another way of asking....does it HURT ? [:D]....I've got big hands if that matters [:)]

edited November -1
    I finally caved in and treated my self to the lightweight Titanium Judge. 4" barrel.
    Does anyone have any holster ideas or suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Ed

edited November -1
    May have to rethink this one. Watch the vid and check out the shot pattern, DANG!![:0]

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-PO0YMPVqw-o/taurus_judge/

• gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one with a 4" barrel. Its the alloy frame"Light" model.
    It doesn't kick bad at all. Mine takes the 2 1/2" shot shells.
    I think they are good for their intended purpose.
    I've had mine since right after they came out and have had no problems at all with it.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never owned one, but I work the gun check table at the local collectors show. We see more Judges coming in looking for new homes than any other Taurus model, for what that might be worth. Personally I view it as the answer to a question no one was asking. Marketing gimmick.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have fired one several times, it isn't something you go to the range and shoot a box of ammo in my opinion, but it is kinda cool.

The grip isn't tiny like the NAA .22 mags.

.410 slug is going to be a heck of a lot more kick then the "snake shot"

even the 44 seemed to have less kick then a slug.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have never owned one, but I have shot four different ones while at the range. The recoil was quite manageable even with multiple shots. I found I had to adjust my grip after a couple of shots.

Not my cup of tea......
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it depends on what you're going to shoot out of it. Number 9 shot will be less kicked than buckshot or a slug. But I think they're all manageable. Certainly isn't like shooting 357 Magnum in any configuration

But if it's a good deal, like you said. Buy it anyway, if you don't like it you can resell it for a profit
  • callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own both the piston and the rifle version under the Rossi name. I am very pleased with both for what they are and what they're intended to do. The Rossi Circuit Judge does not kick at all, and I've used it to take deer at close range.

You should have no concerns regarding recoil/kick with the weight the 6.5" barrel brings.
    edited November -1
    It definetly won't be a self-defense pistol unless need be (have more than enough of those) as I think many were purchased to be and were disappointed, more of a utility weapon while out and about. I think I'm going to give it a try, win or lose. Thanks for all the replies [;)] [:)]

• fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i have a public defender 2" i say it is the only one worth a hoot keeps a 4 ball load in a paper plate at defensive distance, bird shot is not worth a waste of ammo 2ft from a cabbage did squat
  • callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    i have a public defender 2" i say it is the only one worth a hoot keeps a 4 ball load in a paper plate at defensive distance, bird shot is not worth a waste of ammo 2ft from a cabbage did squat

I really liked the way Winchester PDX1 patterned when I tried it out, so that's what mine is loaded with in self-defense mode.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makaila bought the bond arms deluxe model long bbl deringer

Makaila bought the Rossi built carbine

Makaila bought the judge clone with a 4.25" bbl

She also used a vendor that has worked for me when I was managing the gunshop to make a custom fitted hard case (leather finish with brass embellishments) to take all 3 guns in custom fitted / formed insets (the case interior is lined with a short carpet like material and leather)

I taught her how use all 3 guns

I have at least 100 rounds through each of these guns.

I will answer any direct questions that you may have.

Best regards mike
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is at best a weak shot shotgun for extremely close range. I would not want to shoot anything over 25 feet with one. A good boat gun for an occasional snake.

My experience shooting 45LC thru one has been bad. Different reloads to include factory ammo produces poor groups and occasional keyholes.

The judge does not feel right in my hand and the trigger pull sucks. I have fired two different judges. I am a good enough shot with a handgun, I can hit anything the size of a quarter at close range and don't need a shotgun. My opinion and am sticking with it.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Never owned one, but I work the gun check table at the local collectors show. We see more Judges coming in looking for new homes than any other Taurus model, for what that might be worth. Personally I view it as the answer to a question no one was asking. Marketing gimmick.

I think a lot of new shooters buy them then learn the hard way what a box of 45 Colt sells for.

Aint cheap ammo.
  • Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No it's not the ammo that's the problem. quote:Originally posted by drobs
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog

I think a lot of new shooters buy them then learn the hard way what a box of 45 Colt sells for.

Aint cheap ammo.