In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Let's see if I learned anything

john walkerjohn walker Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
If an FFL commits fraud, not a misunderstanding or misrepresentation, but real 'steal your money' fraud, could his license be in jeopardy?
Would he have to be charged/convicted, or is there a less formal complaint/review process?

Comments

• Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think that any licensed professional that commits fraud would chance losing his license and doing jail time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Some licensing agencies have a complaint/review process that doesn't require criminal prosecution. Isn't FFL under ATF?
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BATFE LINK

quote:About the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

ATF is a law enforcement agency in the United States' Department of Justice that protects our communities from violent criminals, criminal organizations, the illegal use and trafficking of firearms, the illegal use and storage of explosives, acts of arson and bombings, acts of terrorism, and the illegal diversion of alcohol and tobacco products. We partner with communities, industries, law enforcement, and public safety agencies to safeguard the public we serve through information sharing, training, research, and use of technology.I would say yes.

They (BATFE) could say for sure.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    While I have no real knowledge of how that works,I would think one could be stripped of their license.
    Much the same an attorney can be disbarred.
    Jail time,I would also think,would depend on the severity of the crime committed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did find form (pdf doc) for filing complaint with ATF. But it seemed directed specifically toward ATF employees. Didn't mention FFL's or any type of licensees at all.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    every law involving a firearm is a felony if it is stolen. So if you paid and did not receive it is a felony. once a felon you can not have a ffl LIC.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And if it wasn't a firearm?

I guess if everyone upset with a FFL could easily file a complaint, there would have to be thousands of ATF inspectors running all over the USA looking at scratches on guns and determining whether the proper deposit was returned at a pawn shop. It seems forum members would be aware of the process if it existed. Thanks for everyone's input.