In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Simple is Best.

84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
While searching for the ultimate indestructible Dog toy, I've gone through many trials and errors.

Some far better than others.

He has his favorites.

He has probably 8 or so in his corner of the living room as we speak. (Okay, as I type.)

Couple days ago I spotted what I knew would be a Winner. I grabbed both of them. (The only two they had.)

$2.50 each. How could I go wrong?

A 1/2" diameter soft cotton rope tied up into a Monkey Fist, (the size of a Softball.) with a 6-8" rope handle/loop extending out from it.

To say it has been a Winner would be an understatement.

We've been playing Tug O War, he's been chewing on it, we've been playing throw and fetch, he's been slinging it around, etc etc.

The thing looks brand new after 3 days. (Unheard of for this dog.)

I'm currently sitting on the couch in the living room, tugging it from him, and throwing it down the 30' hallway (I'm looking right down,) to the front door.

He is estatic, and getting tons of excercise, I'm happy. They are cheap.
What's not to love.

Not to mention he gets to participate in one of his favorite activities.

Sliding on the long wool runner, 20' or so, on slick tiles running down the lenght of the hallway.

Picture sliding into second, bouncing off the door, turning around and running full speed (while going nowhere,) because he is shooting the carpet out from under his feet towards the door.

He is currently worn out, breathing hard, but way happy.

Simple is best.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I give my Marines shiny rocks to play with.[:)]
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    We've had good luck with the kong chew bones from TSC. The red ones are to soft and get destroyed in anywhere from a few hours to a few days. The black ones are tougher and they last untill they get lost in the yard and mowed over.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    We've had good luck with the kong chew bones from TSC. The red ones are to soft and get destroyed in anywhere from a few hours to a few days. The black ones are tougher and they last untill they get lost in the yard and mowed over.

Thanks Josh, I was unaware Kong made chew bones. (Should have known)

He current has a red classic Kong toy, that I put a perfectly sized dog bisquit inside in his crate in the AM.

My Sister sent me a Kong plush toy, (a large moose.) While he LOVED it, it did not hold up any better than any other stuffed/plush toy's we've tried.

I'll visit TSC and look for the Black bone.

I've heard, "Once you go Black, you never go back." [}:)]

Another favorite is a neon green 12" faux "Log," by HyperPets.com. He takes weeks, if not a month to slowly dismantle one. Leaves chunks of it all over. (He will not consume stuff like that.)

Another is a Flying squirrel spread eagle on a 8" hoop of cotton rope.

Squeaks, (OMG!! I love it.) Last longer than most. He has about 3 in tatters around here. Can throw it like a frisbee. Good stuff.

He has acoupe Nylabones. One wishbone shaped flavored like bacon, and a large newspaper, loves them both. They stay in his crate.

Came home with a Beef Knuckle, (Huge) the size of a small Cantalope along with the Chew knots the other day. ($5.) A huge Winner also.

The list goes on.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get my wifes empty spring-water bottles out of the trash and put them in my old long work socks knotted on the end to keep the bottle in, they love the crunch/crinkle/popping sound it produces and will play for hrs with them....no damage to the bottle either as you would think. I found it's better than any store bought toy I've tried [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    I get my wifes empty spring-water bottles out of the trash and put them in my old long work socks knotted on the end to keep the bottle in, they love the crunch/crinkle/popping sound it produces and will play for hrs with them....no damage to the bottle either as you would think. I found it's better than any store bought toy I've tried [;)]

I've seen and handled a few of those, usually a plush toy with those inside. (And) thought WTH?

Your suggestion of making my own resonates. Thank you.

He also has about 3-4 of my socks he has managed to get ahold of (Ya Bastage.) I can make use of.

Training him to grab my socks? [:0][B)] Hmmmnnn.............
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always have found that the cotton rope toys fared much better than the plastic ones.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 84Bravo1
    [

I've seen and handled a few of those, usually a plush toy with those inside. (And) thought WTH?

All of those man made fibers on pet toys scare me, they don't last long and go directly into their digestive system, some fibers pass through in their stools, many don't pass through at all......BAD [V]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58
    I always have found that the cotton rope toys fared much better than the plastic ones.

Yep, I've clued into (early on,) that anything with a cotton rope attached to it becomes his favorite.

Probably very good for his dental hygene also.

He has all kinds of remnants of Toys gone by, that still have vestiges of cotton rope with knots we play with.

Once again, Simple is best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    [

All of those man made fibers on pet toys scare me, they don't last long and go directly into their digestive system, some fibers pass through in their stools, many don't pass through at all......BAD [V]

While I appreciate and understand your input/concern, he does not consume anything like that.

It gets spit out onto the floor. He leaves toy remnants everywhere. You can tell by what you find, it's everything torn off.

I appreciate your concern and knowledge. I've been keeping very close eyes on it, since day one.

Thank you though.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Akira after going through the phase were toys get destroyed and have a short life expectancy...

He has 2 toys that he has decided are his - that get played with but do not get destroyed - care is shown in there use and storage...

He still gets new cheap toys on occasion from one of us - and they will get destroyed or discarded...

His 2 talisman - woobie comfort toys:

The Christmas moose - large plush stuffed moose with squeakers - red and green body parts - rack and * features in bright yellow - possibly from foster Smith catalog.

He could easily destroy if - but he protects if - will bring it inside his crate with him - will carry it from room to room or person to person or sleeping.

He has a half sized real leather soccer ball - the bladder has been punctured and it's airless - looks like a leather bowl - stays in that shape.

It bounces and rebounds in unpredictable directions and can be tossed or kicked quite a distance. He will pursue it and break it's neck.

He has taken ownership of them and protects them - conserves them - has an attachment to them - they are his.

I am certain that dog owners here can identify a toy or object that there buddy has now adopted or has survived and remained intact.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    Akira after going through the phase were toys get destroyed and have a short life expectancy...

He has 2 toys that he has decided are his - that get played with but do not get destroyed - care is shown in there use and storage...

He still gets new cheap toys on occasion from one of us - and they will get destroyed or discarded...

His 2 talisman - woobie comfort toys:

The Christmas moose - large plush stuffed moose with squeakers - red and green body parts - rack and * features in bright yellow - possibly from foster Smith catalog.

He could easily destroy if - but he protects if - will bring it inside his crate with him - will carry it from room to room or person to person or sleeping.

He has a half sized real leather soccer ball - the bladder has been punctured and it's airless - looks like a leather bowl - stays in that shape.

It bounces and rebounds in unpredictable directions and can be tossed or kicked quite a distance. He will pursue it and break it's neck.

He has taken ownership of them and protects them - conserves them - has an attachment to them - they are his.

I am certain that dog owners here can identify a toy or object that there buddy has now adopted or has survived and remained intact.

Mike

Maybe Akira is thinking, "Damn all I get are these cheap * toys. Maybe I better keep these two I like, because the pickings look grim." [:0][B)][:D][}:)]

Nice to see you posting Mike. [:D]
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No matter the cost, with my Dachshunds... Anything with a squeaker inside gets killed PRONTO!
    When the deed is done, no more to squeak, they won't even look at it.

The water bottle in a sock works well. They 'think' it's got a squeaker. They'll go at 'killing' it for an hour or so.
    Then all you got to do is 'upgrade' the bottle to yet another squeaker... AND PRONTO, they'll go it again for another hour.

They'll do this until they fall over...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you are handy and can do entry level sewing and stitching repairs...

You can buy a package of replacement squeakers of assorted size - grunters as well...

Makaila will perform squeaker / grunter replacement surgery periodically - after washing / cleaning and repair toys may get more use - have an extended life.

Really want to confuse the dog - put a squeaker in your pocket and watch the dog try find the toy.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you are handy and can do entry level sewing and stitching repairs...

You can buy a package of replacement squeakers of assorted size - grunters as well...

Makaila will perform squeaker / grunter replacement surgery periodically - after washing / cleaning and repair toys may get more use - have an extended life.

Really want to confuse the dog - put a squeaker in your pocket and watch the dog try find the toy.

Mike

Oh believe me Mike, I have saved multiple squeakers to great effect. [}:)]

Is it wrong to torture animals?? [:0][B)][:p][:D]

Yeah, I didn't think so. [}:)]
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright

Watch out or they will paint them white.[8D]
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******
    edited November -1
    Seeing the prices on the dog toy market has always given me sticker shock! Heck those Nyla bones are out of site nuts but the wife keeps a good supply for our Corky.

I said this a long time ago, if you came up with a new dog toy, treat, or healthy chew something......You'd have yourself a gold mine!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright

Watch out or they will paint them white.[8D]

I remember "extra duty," for getting in trouble one time.

Had to paint all the rocks lining our barracks sidewalk white.

When I was done and asked what next, was told,

"Turn em' over clean all the dirt off the other side, and paint that side White." [:0][B)][V]

Ahh, good times.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******
    edited November -1
    This white rock thing has me wondering about part of my childhood?

My old man was a WWII Navy vet who went through a lot of action in the South Pacific.

Our family homestead had two driveways that were unpaved gravel but had large white painted rocks spaced about ten feet apart on each side of each driveway. One of my many chores back then was to repaint all the rocks!

Hmmmmmm, I was an airman so I never got the white rock message.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood

Hmmmmmm, I was an airman so I never got the message.

Fixed it for you. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The girls have a collection of oversized decorated bandannas for the dog...

Each holiday has a bandana themed for it ( Halloween - Valentine's Day - Easter - st Patrick's day - etc...)

I think it's got 32 different events covered.

The duck gets jackets instead on bandannas - but along the same lines / design theme...

The ferret has a collection of braided colored silk belts / cumberbunds with the braided colors indicating which holiday or event is being celebrated...

The hedgehog has miniature bow ties that follow this theme as well.

They use special made animal safe paint on the turtle shell - usually finger wide bands of color designed to represent the holiday in question.

The uncooperative cat refuses to participate

It's a big deal - a lot of effort goes into it.

Mike
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dogs are spoiled since I pay the bills and the wife picks the toys for them...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    edited November -1

Each holiday has a bandana themed for it ( Halloween - Valentine's Day - Easter - st Patrick's day - etc...)

The duck gets jackets instead on bandannas - but along the same lines / design theme...

The ferret has a collection of braided colored silk belts / cumberbunds with the braided colors indicating which holiday or event is being celebrated...

They use special made animal safe paint on the turtle shell - usually finger wide bands of color designed to represent the holiday in question.

Mike

Mike, this falls into the (TMI) too much information, post category.

Your family Sir.

Has "issues "

Please, seek professional counciling.

For the love of God Man, why traumatize your Animals like that?

PS, I'd "Make" the Cat participate."

If all the other Animals have to be demeaned and humiliated like that, why is the Cat exempt??

Screw that BS.

I say grab the Cat, and put some type of humiliating costume addornment on him/her it.

Just me.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Mike

Your family Sir.

Has "issues "

If all the other Animals have to be demeaned and humiliated like that, why is the Cat exempt??

Screw that BS.

I say grab the Cat, and put some type of humiliating costume addornment on him/her it.

Just me.

My friend has no kids but he and his wife have two Keeshonds. Every holiday they get a costume she puts together for them. They always have a look on their faces that is like 'I feel like a doofus, but Mom said I had to wear this'.

I don't feel sorry for them, because as good as she treats them, it is a small thing in return. I have said many times that in my next life, I want to be one of her dogs. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040

Mike

Your family Sir.

Has "issues "

Screw that BS.

Just me.

My friend has no kids but he and his wife have two Keeshonds. Every holiday they get a costume she puts together for them. They always have a look on their faces that is like 'I feel like a doofus, but Mom said I had to wear this'.

I don't feel sorry for them, because as good as she treats them, it is a small thing in return. I have said many times that in my next life, I want to be one of her dogs. [:D]

You Sir, are just an enabler. [:0][B)][xx(]