In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Recipe Suggestikns

84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
edited October 2017 in General Discussion
I have a Beef Flat Iron Filet.

Not a cut I have used before. (It was a deal.)

I'm thinking thin sliced and sauteed with green peppers and onions, over rice.

Any suggestions appreciated.


Thanks.




As per Mike, "smart * comments, ridicule, snide remarks, etc etc welcomed, and expected"

Comments

  • Heavy ChevyHeavy Chevy Member Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grill, hot and fast!
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,788
    edited November -1
    Grill hot and fast...then slice it.

    It will be tough if you slice it first.
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    I was also thinking slow cook it, (Crock pot) with some BBQ sauce and onions.

    Add some dried Pinto beans in on top, cook overnight.

    I appreciate any and all suggestions.

    Thank you.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take your pick, they all sound good!
    (Except the ones with mushrooms. mushrooms are nasty!)
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/17641/meat-and-poultry/beef/steaks/flat-iron-steak/
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    Take your pick, they all sound good!
    (Except the ones with mushrooms. mushrooms are nasty!)
    http://allrecipes.com/recipes/17641/meat-and-poultry/beef/steaks/flat-iron-steak/


    One bad trip and you hate the little fungi's huh Steve....[;)]
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Ever had Fajitas?
    Guess what they make 'em out of?
    Heat high temp oil and 2 Tbsp butter in skillet, add onion slivers, crushed chunky garlic, saute till fragrant.
    Slice flank/flatiron/flap meat in 1/2" fajita pieces & roll in chile powder/salt mix.
    Turn up heat & toss in meat, agitating consistently, drizzling in Good beer to keep it moving.
    You're going for a medium rare; after about a minute, add sliced roasted/peeled peppers & a teaspoon of flour. Stir well.
    Sizzle for another 2 minutes & dump on a bowl of Jasmine, Basmati or Arboreal rice. Wild brown rice from Wisconsin Indians works too.
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    Ever had Fajitas?
    Guess what they make 'em out of?
    Heat high temp oil and 2 Tbsp butter in skillet, add onion slivers, crushed chunky garlic, saute till fragrant.
    Slice flank/flatiron/flap meat in 1/2" fajita pieces & roll in chile powder/salt mix.
    Turn up heat & toss in meat, agitating consistently, drizzling in Good beer to keep it moving.
    You're going for a medium rare; after about a minute, add sliced roasted/peeled peppers & a teaspoon of flour. Stir well.
    Sizzle for another 2 minutes & dump on a bowl of Jasmine, Basmati or Arboreal rice. Wild brown rice from Wisconsin Indians works too.



    Thanks for the suggestion Joe.

    I love any and every kind of Mexican and Tex-Mex food.

    Lived in El Paso for 5 years back in the late 60's, fresh back from 3 years Germany (Ider Oberstein) and 3 years France. (Strasburg)


    Yes, I LOVE fajitas.

    Suggestion appreciated Brother.

    I have some Killer Green and Red Chili dust, a Friend sent me to cook with. [:D]

    Good stuff that gets used very frequently.

    We need to coordinate when you will be home, for a shipment of Mike's BBQ from here.
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 53,544 ******
    edited November -1
    On a hoagie bun with melted cheese. Steak sandwich,,[:p][:p][:p][:p]
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    On a hoagie bun with melted cheese. Steak sandwich,,[:p][:p][:p][:p]



    Heathen. [xx(][:D][}:)]
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 11,826 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Into the small slow cooker

    Having been hole punched and tenderized a bit with a mallet

    Some tomatoes - sliced thin and thick - briefly pan seared prior to placing in the slow cooker

    A small sweet bell pepper cut into small chunks

    A little spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce

    A small amount of wild onion or scallion

    Some fresh chopped - diced parsley

    A good baking potato cut up into bite sized cubes

    Some fresh ground black pepper - sea salt

    Stir / mix / cook / serve / eat

    When you serve the steak separate them first on a plate - slice thin on a downward diagonal - pour contents of pot on top

    Fresh warm bread or rolls - a section of French or Italian bread works

    Mike
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    Into the small slow cooker

    Having been hole punched and tenderized a bit with a mallet

    Some tomatoes - sliced thin and thick - briefly pan seared prior to placing in the slow cooker

    A small sweet bell pepper cut into small chunks

    A little spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce

    A small amount of wild onion or scallion

    Some fresh chopped - diced parsley

    A good baking potato cut up into bite sized cubes

    Some fresh ground black pepper - sea salt

    Stir / mix / cook / serve / eat

    When you serve the steak separate them first on a plate - slice thin on a downward diagonal - pour contents of pot on top

    Fresh warm bread or rolls - a section of French or Italian bread works

    Mike





    So Mike, you are saying I should poke holes in it, then beat the crap out of it with a mallet/hammer??

    What has this meat ever done to me?


    We just met a couple days ago.


    Why do you have to be so aggressive all the time? [xx(]
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 11,826 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Normaly I would use my hole puncher and add a marinade and let get tender and absorb flavor overnight...

    But the little square wooden mallets with the short spiky side is an OK substitution if you don't have the time or patience to prepare in advance like I suggest.

    You can get creative with marinades - I know someone who uses a can of manderin orange crush soda...

    Mike
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Oy mrmike08075
    the little square wooden mallets with the short spiky side

    Mike




    Should I visit a local S&M shop in order to procure one of those??


    There are not too many of them (if any, - I don't know) around me here in rural TN.


    Is there a special name for it, when I go in and approach the Counter person?



    I don't have to wear some type of spiky collar when I beat on it do I?


    I'm not comfortable with that.
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 11,826 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So what did you end up doing for supper...

    And will you retain and try any suggested methods or recipes here...

    And I am unashamed of how the dog and the rest of the animals live - the girls love them and dote on them and spoil them...

    But also take part in discipline and training and rule boundary structure...

    Mike
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 53,544 ******
    edited November -1
    how was your sandwich??
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 11,826 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it has been said or expressed or of I have not made things clear...

    I wish that - in a more perfect world...

    That we / most of us were within an hour or two travel from one another...

    And could gather at a centrally located place (bar - restaurant - golf club) in groups of various size and composition from time to time...

    I have the girls and the dog and the pets and am close to my parents (proximity and personally)

    In many ways there is a core central group here that changes with the passing of time...

    What a community of would be - of benefit to me and all.

    Not that I can do much right now (give it time - making progress - working hard)

    Once a month or every 6 weeks maybe - casual not contractual or having obligations attached to it.

    Like an extended family.

    Just wanted to say it.

    Mike
  • 84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    If it has been said or expressed or of I have not made things clear...

    I wish that - in a more perfect world...

    That we / most of us were within an hour or two travel from one another...

    And could gather at a centrally located place (bar - restaurant - golf club) in groups of various size and composition from time to time...

    I have the girls and the dog and the pets and am close to my parents (proximity and personally)

    In many ways there is a core central group here that changes with the passing of time...

    What a community of would be - of benefit to me and all.

    Not that I can do much right now (give it time - making progress - working hard)

    Once a month or every 6 weeks maybe - casual not contractual or having obligations attached to it.

    Like an extended family.

    Just wanted to say it.

    Mike







    That's nice Mike, and I agree.

    You know of course I am just busting on you and others in these threads, in a friendly joking way.

    I hope that comes across.

    I did not end up cooking the Flat Iron Filet last PM.

    Went with some day old Tuna casserole I had made, and also made some Hash Browns O'Brian. Added some diced cherry tomatoes and a couple finely diced fresh garden hot peppers also.

    Might (?) Cook the flat iron today. Not sure. I did indeed pick up some good ideas on preparation. Thanks.

    -Ken-





    I ended up going to bed around 7:30 pm. I've not been getting good sleep lately and decided to try and catch up on some rest.
Sign In or Register to comment.