In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Butler Derringer ???

Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in General Discussion
OK :

A Buddy brought one of these by for me to look @ : Gold plated (?) Exc. Cond. .22 short :

NO serial # anyplace ???

I thought that ALL Modern Hand-Guns must be manufactured with a SN in place ???

Any Ideas : I got an idea but will wait on responses !

Thanks !!!
The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?

Comments

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1968, the Gun Control Act (GCA) imposed numerous additional requirements in the arena of gun manufacture. As per the GCA, all firearms manufactured or imported into the United States are required to bear a serial number.

So it must have been manufactured before 1968...

A quick internet search shows that they produced these between 1958 to sometimein the seventies. So they not required to have a serial number on it for the one that's was produced before the gun control act of 1968.

Butler later bought all of Colts remaining stock of their .22 short derringers Colt had produced that they produced in the mid fifties too late sixties and sold them in the 70s. But these derringers had the Colt name on them
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are located on the left side of frame - course it's not there but I have not seen a Butler without a serial #??
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may have a Butler made for Colt. Especially with the
    gold plating. Never sold well. Colt stopped selling them,
    Then Butler went on their own and sold them.

Made from 1959 to about 1970 for colt, IIRC.
    Is possible it does not have a # on it.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Serial is on left side of frame.
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very early ones due not have the serial numbers but all late models are on left sides.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You made me look. Yes the serial number is on the left side of the frame. Mine starts B & then five digits. I sold the silver colored one.
    It's certainly not gold plated. I think the whole frame is brass.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are the "No 4" derringers made by Butler for Colt. The barrel is steel & the frame is pot metal. Any combination of finishes is possible, & there were many grip materials. They were marketed singly, in pairs, commemoratives, special editions & even in fake "books". Plating was only a couple of microns, & quickly wipes off with even a smooth cloth.

Butler made & sold some late in production under their own name.

All complete Colt & Butler derringers were made with a serial number. At the end of production, Butler made & sold a small number of unnumbered incomplete derringers that lacked a recoil plate. It was possible to buy the recoil plates separately, & fit it yourself. Such guns today are considered the same as any homemade gun, & cannot be legally transferred.

Neal
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

MMYERS : Thats one of the thoughts I had ? as well as the fact that Butler sold some 'black powder' versions (lacks a SN) & a place also sold a 'parts kit' that could be used to turn the black powder item into a .22 cal. derringer : I remember these well (long story) :
    So, who knows ???
    All I know is that the three (3) I own all have the SN on the left side of the frame !

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?