In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M-1 carbine.... what do you all think?

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited January 2004 in Ask the Experts
I haven't got one of these yet. I have put out want notices and someone responded with just what I want. A shooter. I don't care if it is all matching, import marked, etc., just want a good shooter.

That said, it is a Postal M1 with import stamp, U ground off reciever, more or less all matching but one or two parts replaced, and a mismatched stock. But it is all USGI and in fine condition otherwise, with Excellant bore and VG exterior. The seller is asking $450 plus $15 shipping.

Is this a good price or no? What are the most desireable m-1 carbines, or least? Thanks as always in advance.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends.

As a rule, I advise those people who are not carbine experts to avoid imports, especially Blue Skys. That's because most imports have been used & abused by the Koreans. The muzzle may be worn out from excessive cleaning (or squashed by the import stamp), & other parts may be bad. $450 is just about top price for an import; if you can't verify that the bore gauges less than 2.0, I'd pass. Without a tight muzzle, it won't be a good shooter.

Within the last several months, I have seen several nice USGI non-imports on GB close to that price.

Neal
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I am leery of buying sight unseen myself. Which is why I only buy via mail very rarely. I really need to get a muzzle gauge. Using an M2 round is ok, but hardly scientific.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jonk.... I have several carbines, one of which is a Winchester imported by Blue Sky. It shoots great, and is my knock around rifle.
    The others are Inland, and Natl Postal Meter.

The benefit of using the round "M2" bolt is the increased bearing surface at the rear of the bolt. I dont know if it really helps in functioning or accuracy, but it does have more contact with the receiver.

Carbines are great little rabbit hunting guns. In my early coyote hunting days I used a carbine, but it does not shoot flat enough for shots beyond about 100 yds.

"Never let school interfere with your education"