In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Semi-auto Hammer Holes

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2004 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me if there is a purpose for the small hole in the hammers of some semi-auto handguns? Just curious.

Comments

• Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was always my understanding that a rawl hammer provided the needed weight for ignition, without the pointed protrusion of a spur.

These are also called ring hammers.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't follow. What exactly is a "rawl" hammer? What got me thinking about the question is that I have one of the little Beretta 21A with the tip-up barrel. I noticed in its hammer it has a small hole (maybe 1/16") and I can't imagine what purpose it could serve. Have seen this on other guns too and wondered the same thing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I found a good picture of a 21A with the hole I am talking about on GB Item #15449880.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What he means is that the rounded hammers have sufficient weight to fire the gun and not the drawback of a spur type hammer than can snag on clothing.

The 21a is a nice gun but for the price of .25 acp ammo I'd take the .22lr version (cheaper to shoot and with quality ammo can match the energy of the .25).
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Look at these two pictures, and think of it as both hammers having the same weight. One is easier to pull back to cock (the spur hammer), but the other one snags on clothing less...

mars49_1075410218_Delta_3.JPG

billydave_1049409342_p1010005.JPG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A "rawl" hammer is one that has a "hole" in it[8D]They are more rounded than a conventional hammer.The "hole" is the method of adjusting the correct weight.If the hammer were just made smaller, it would decrease the area for thumb operation. IMHO, the rawl style hammer was as much cosmetic as functional!

Edit- Thanks Bambi- you weren't there when I responded.

• Options
    edited November -1
    I may just be dense or something. Y'all are probably telling me and I'm just missing it. I understand about the different types of hammers. But see the little hole drilled in the rounded hammer of the first picture above. Why is that there? Wouldn't it be a lot easier to have just left the hammer solid?

I actually have the 22LR version. Pretty good for it's size.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay. I think Hangfire cleared it up for me. If the hole was filled would the hammer be too heavy? What difference would that make?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DBV, if it was too heavy the hammer would slam forward with too much force at the least shortening the life of the gun, at the worst, piercing the primer...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Quality guns such as Beretta are very well designed. An excess in any area can cause undue wear in another.Enjoy your gun. My Daughters first pistol was a 950 in 22 short. She first fired it at age 4, and is now 18. Don't ever get her mad at ya[8D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    All cleared up for me. Thanks for all the learning guys. I appreciate it!

-dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are welcome! And a special thanks to Bambi for posting the pics.Worth a thousand words.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Now, bid on a Beretta 21!

Glad we could help, I had similar confusions when I started collecting. [:I]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambihunter

Glad we could help, I had similar confusions when I started collecting. [:I]

I started in 1961 at age 14, and am still totally confused![8D][8D][8D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    I didn't say I didn't have ANY confusions left, just solved the similar confusions (as to why some have one type whereas others have another type of hammer). [:D]