In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ffl question

calamitywoodcalamitywood Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2004 in Ask the Experts
What are the current fees associated with getting an FFL-01? Just toying with the idea. Thanks

Comments

• calamitywoodcalamitywood Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was just wondering how many guns can you legally buy and sell a year without having an FFL.
    edited November -1
    I am considering getting my FFL. Are the kits that are out there worth it?
    edited November -1
    If you possess your own FFL, can you legally purchase a long gun from an individual without logging it into your books? I am looking to purchase one for my own collection and use
    edited November -1
    If you purchase a gun off gunbroker.com and the seller has an FFL and ships the gun to another state. Since the gun was purchased and paid for in another state, does the receiving FFL Dealer have to collect a state sales tax for the gun being shipped to his state?
    edited November -1
    when shipping a longarm to a ffl do you need a signed and dated copy of license or just the number?
    edited November -1
    TO OBTAIN A FFL , DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE A PLACE OF BUISNESS OR A STORE{SHOP}? OR CAN YOU JUST DO BUISNESS AT GUN SHOWS AND ON THE WEB? CURIUOS!
    edited November -1
    Is there a federal regulation that a private party must send a copy of their valid photo ID (drivers license) with a mailed firearm when shipping the gun to an out of state FFL? This is during the completion of a Gunbroker auction/sale ? If there is, could you please identify the correct regulation number (or copy it to this thread) so I can be in complete compliance?

Thanks...
    edited November -1
    sold gun on G B and shiped to purchaser"s dealer. got a call from dealer saying i did not include my ffl # told them i am not a dealer , but sent gun to them for proper transfer. they said guns must ship from dealer to dealer. are they correct? if so i have sent many guns to dealers and never a problem. but do i have a problem now?
    edited November -1
    a freind comes to wisconsin every year from california
    for deer season and flies with his gun.
    This year airline charged him $70.00 1 way for an extra pc. of luggage.
    Rather than pay an another $70.00 on return, he took the bolt and magazine with him and I shipped the rifle back to him
    Since he is the lawful owner, is it legal for me to return to him in this manner

Thanks
    edited November -1
    I am trying to sell a RRA LAR-15 right now. I have a guy willing to pay the price but he is across the state line. I am in Utah and he is in Idaho. Do I need to go through an FFL to sell this to him over the state line? Or only if I ship it? If I drive the 3 hours up to his city and sell it to him face to face is that illegal?

TIA
    edited November -1
    This may or may not be the right place to ask this..so moderators please move this if I'm incorrect. I'm looking into getting a FFL C&R but I've been searching all over the web trying to find a clear answer. My question is...if I were to obtain an FFL C&R...what weapons am I allowed to obtain with this license...and more importantly what weapons am I NOT allowed to obtain. I'm an avid collector of WWII firearms, but I'd also like to get a little bit more modern full auto firearms as well. What stance does the government have on C&R holders obtaining full autos? Can you not obtain ANY full auto? Are you limited to full autos past the 50yr mark? Or can you obtain any full auto?

Thanks in advance!
    edited November -1
    Scenario: A person over time has acquired and owns 50 guns. That person then applies for and receives a FFL. I know that he/she must keep the personal guns separate from the "FFL guns". But what if the person sells some of the 50 guns he owned prior to obtaining the FFL? Does he have to log them into his book and then sell them? Or does he simply sell them without doing the paperwork?
    edited November -1
    I just recently got my FFL, and was wondering the best way to find a supplier(s) [ for firearms ] that is reliable and trustworthy...any thoughts ? thanks in advance for your help.
    edited November -1
    I know that you have to have a copy of an out of state FFL before you can ship a gun to him. But how do I prove this to a friend who just knows that anybody can ship to an FFL? Which is the regulation that spells it out that the FFL must be in hand before you ship? I couldn't find the particular regulation or law on the ATF Website. Or is this just under the heading of common sense, as in so you know you are shipping to an actual FFL? Instead of just a voice on the telephone claiming to be an FFL. I'm serious, this question just came up for the first time as I always knew you had to have the FFLin hand and it's frustrating not to be able to sight the actual regulation. Thanks for the help.
    edited November -1
    I ordered a firearm and am having it sent to a FFL dealer in the town I live in. However,the seller, FAC, does not have the firearm in stock and may not for a month yet. By that time I may be living in another state. Can the FFL dealer still transfer the firearm to me if I am living in a different state when he receives it (assuming I go there and pick it up?) Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Okay, help me out guys (and gals)!

Here is the deal. I like to collect WWII firearms. (M1 Garands, Carbines, Mausers, Arisakas etc.) I live in PA in the good old
    US of A!
    I would like to get a Thompson and a Grease gun, vintage full auto for my collection. I KNOW THAT THEY ARE EXPENSIVE, but that is not an issue. I already have a PA concealed carry permit (not that it matters, just tells you i am totally clean) I am not interested in reselling, just buying. What federal permits will i need to apply for in order to legally obtain these? I do want them 100% working not semi auto conversions!

Thanks for your help!
    PJ
    edited November -1
    CAN A PERSON GET AN FFL FOR A HOMEBASE BUSINESS? EVERYONE KEEPS
    TELLING ME I HAVE TO HAVE A STORE FRONT? I AM IN THE PROCESS OF
    STARTING A SMALL AMMO SHOP IN MY GARAGE. I HAVE APPLIED FOR A RETAIL
    SALES LICENSE'S AND OCCUPATIONAL LICENSE'S ALSO. THERE ARE NO ZONING
    LAWS IN MY STATE OR COUNTY WHICH PREVENT ME FROM DOING THIS, BUT I WAS WONDERING IF THE ATF WOULD GRANT ME AN FFL? DOES ANYBODY KNOW.THANKS!!
    edited November -1
    If I sell a rifle. I have to send it to a FFL holder. If the FFL doesnt accept from an individual I will have to go thru a dealer. What kind of paperwork do I have to have? Do I need a ink signed copy of their FFL or can a faxed copy do? Do I even need paperwork if I go thru a ffl?

Thanks
    dgac
    edited November -1
    if I buy a receiver made after 1892 what does an FFL do with my info. Could I be rejected for some reason due to past history or area where I live. Just asking cause I never bought a receiver made after 1899.
    edited November -1
    Can someone tell me how long it usually takes to recieve you ffl once you send it in?
    edited November -1
    I have asked this question before but didn't get much of a reply. I have just sent in my FFL application to the ATF. I was wondering about how long it takes for them to process it and issue the license. I know since 9/11 it will probably take longer but if someone could just give me a time frame it took to get theirs i would appeciate it. Thanks.
    edited November -1
    1)Can a non-FFL holding person ship a pistol to a gunsmith?

2)Can it be shipped instate, interstate?

3)If a non-FFL holding person is allowed to ship a gun/pistol to a gunsmith how is the Non-FFL person allowed to ship pistols? USPS, UPS, Fedex? Must they use the services of a FFL holder?

Thanks in advance.
    Dean
    edited November -1
    If I have several guns, hand and long, shipped to my FFL guy, other than the $25 transfer fee per firearm, and I go there once when he has them all, I'm assuming he'll charge me only for one single background check fee? Is this correct?
    edited November -1
    I recently posted on here about problems with my EAA Baikal. Well, I e-mailed them, and they said I could send it to them and they would fix it and send it back, with the only cost to me the one way shipping. My question is, do I have to take it to a FFL holder to ship it and have it shipped back to? Or is this only for buying/selling. I would think I still have to take it to an FFL holder, but if I dont have to, I wont. Thanks!

shoey
    edited November -1
    HI guys,
    several days ago i posted a question inquiring about a c&r license. I received several good suggestions. I'm thinking about going ahead and getting a dealers license. i want to be able to buy and sell guns on Gunbroker without having to run everything through a local pawn shop. Can i run a business strictly on the internet or do i actually need a shop for people to come into?
    Thanks,
    Sherwin
    edited November -1
    guy I work with has his ffl and was willing to receive a shotgun I am thinking of buying. He says $10 and tax, I know the $10 is a good deal but since when do they have to collect sales tax. the gun is comming from iowa to wva, is he correct?
  • gonepostalgonepostal Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    must have a store front with buisness hours

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nlc/ffl/faqs_lic.htm

yep its me ,same one for 4 years now
    edited November -1
    can i use an attached garage (this is where i work on my guns anyway) or do i have to rent a separate building.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CALL YOUR LOCAL BATFE OFFICE AND ASK THEM THE QUESTION. GOOD LUCK

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You do not necessarily need a store front or shop.

However, you must have the zoning, permits, & licences that anyone else running a home business in your locality must have. Once you have obtained all these, THEN you can apply for an FFL.

Neal
    edited November -1
    thank you for your help (everyone) it is so much easier asking here than dealing with b.a.t.f. i called them a couple of days ago to request the ffl application and started to ask a few questions. i felt like i was taking to the gestopo or the kgb. they weren't rude really. they just made me feel like i was up to something underhanded. oh well, thanks again.
    Sherwin
    edited November -1
    Feds no longer allow home based gun shops ,home based gun stores where grand fathered in ,but to apply and get ffl ,you must have a store front ,with business hours

edited November -1
    oh well, it was a nice idea. thanks
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Federal regulations do not prohibit you from being a home based dealer, the regs only state that you must have a licensed premises. This can be a store front business, your home, a shed out in the backyard (very popular as it keeps the BATFE from doing their inspections in your living room) or some fixed structure where you have 24-7 access to the records which you must keep available. There may well be state and local laws which prohibit you running a gun business out of your home and the BATFE will not issue you a license unless you are in FULL compliance with local laws. If you think that you can actually do some business and impress the BATFE compliance inspector of this when he does his pre license interview, then by all means give it a try.

Mark T. Christian
  • jakelinjakelin Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    Federal regulations do not prohibit you from being a home based dealer, the regs only state that you must have a licensed premises. This can be a store front business, your home, a shed out in the backyard (very popular as it keeps the BATFE from doing their inspections in your living room) or some fixed structure where you have 24-7 access to the records which you must keep available. There may well be state and local laws which prohibit you running a gun business out of your home and the BATFE will not issue you a license unless you are in FULL compliance with local laws. If you think that you can actually do some business and impress the BATFE compliance inspector of this when he does his pre license interview, then by all means give it a try.

Mark T. Christian

This is absolutely correct. I had an FFL for 27 years, always out of my home- finally dropped it as I got uncomfortable entering into this kind of contract (that is what it is you know) with the Feds after I had done some research on it. Each individual has to make their own decisions, so be aware of what you are doing and the ins and outs of it before you sign anything.If you want it, get it.

John
    edited November -1
    quote: I had an FFL for 27 years,

yes as i stated it was grand fathered in ,if you already had one ,or closed down and moved it to your house

as of a few years ago ,they will not issue a home based ffl dealers license ,or i would have one ,and yes you can turn you garage or the front of your house into a store front if local laws accept it ,it doesn't mean you have to rent a space in a strip mall to be a store front ,can you designate a room in your house to be a store front ,the answer is no

since the internet and gun shows has become so popular to sell guns ,the feds have cracked down on how they issue licenses ,Monday morning call them up and ask them ,tell them you want to run a gun store out of a spare room in your house ,you have a local business license and your town and state will allow it ,they will tell you no ,ten years ago they would have allowed it ,but not this century ,the laws have changed if you have a ffl you should have gotten the new books "read them" I have a C&R but I still get the news and updates