In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Home Defense - Remington 1100?

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
edited January 2004 in Ask the Experts
I have a chance to possibly pick up a Remmington 1100 for $200.
It has a little surface rust on the barrel and reciever.The stock is dinged. I have a Remington 1100 Magnum that I have had for 24 years and looks brand new. Never had a jam. But that has nothing to do with my question.

If I bought this gun I would cut the barrel down as much as possiable after adding the longest magazine extension I could find. It would probably wind up to be about 20" long.

Pumps are preferable to most.
What is your Opinon on a Semi-Automatic for Home Defense and Reliability?

Jacksonville.gif
sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
http://www.awbansunset.com/
spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same idea, but I am philosophically opposed to ruining a perfectly good barrel with a hacksaw. Besides, what are you going to do for a front sight?

I bought a Remington deer barrel; I can't recall the exact length, but think it was 20". It was rifled & had rifle sights, a perfect setup for rifled slugs. And, it didn't cost too much & I still had the original barrel. I bought a Choate mag extension, but now don't really think that is necessary.

Bear in mind that you give up something when you go to a shotgun instead of a pistol for home defense: it's not as maneuverable in close quarters, & can more easily be wrestled away from you. A shotgun still needs to be aimed.

Neal
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    who needs a front sight on a defense shotgun? go for it. just make sure you ensure its legal length when finished. and on the wrestling issue, you shouldnt have to worry about it if you are defending...that means he comes to you. if you are going after him, its offensive and you set yourself up to be grabbed. pistol or shotgun, doesnt matter....if you go after him, you are on his turf and you subject yourself to his tactics. most good guy deaths occur when the owner moves out from the safe zone. (ref: nra basic home defense course)

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't use slugs for a Home Defense gun, I would use no. 4 shot.
    I live in an apartment.

This Shotgun, as it is, is junk. Nobody would want it to hunt with and show to their friends.

The barrel is ribbed and would not be cut any less then 18 1/2 inches. I figure with the magazine extension that I wouldn't be able to cut it down that far.

Front Site?
    Farthest shot wouldn't be more than 15 feet.
    Stock would not be at my shoulder when firing but between my arm and rib cage.

I've been doing construction for 28 years lifting full sheets of Drywall. I'm six foot tall and weigh 225lbs.

The intruder would have a better chance of Wrestling one of our 12 foot alligators down here then me. [:D] [:D] [8D]

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Make sure it works OK.....then go for it.

Pretty & shiny is for bragging at the Gun Club. I seriously doubt that any bad guy ever said "Don't you dare shoot me with a rusty shotgun!" [:D]
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger, I think it'd work, but I don't see that you'd gain much over going with a pump gun already set up in this configuration and is already in this price range.

I've heard some people that use shotguns vary the shotsize on every shell. I know one guy that uses a slug, then BB, then 4 shot, then repeat 'til the magazine is full...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not a Mossberg fan.
    I would prefer to build a Remington Wingmaster from the reciever on up. We should be able to buy just the recievers on guns that can be greatly accessorized.

This gun is only $200 dollars.[:D]And I never had problems with my Remington 1100 Magnum. All I need is a mag extension.
    It's just a House Gun.
    All it needs is to be reliable.
    That's why I would rather have a Pump, but it would have to be a Wingmaster.

Jacksonville.gif
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

• Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RugerNiner
    I've been doing construction for 28 years lifting full sheets of Drywall. I'm six foot tall and weigh 225lbs.

The intruder would have a better chance of Wrestling one of our 12 foot alligators down here then me. [:D] [:D] [8D]

Jacksonville.gif

If I were you I'd just hold that 1100 between my teeth, chase down the bad guy, and rip him apart with my bare hands!!!!!![8D]

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Options
    bluegoose11bluegoose11 Member Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just my personal feelings on a home defence gun I would stick with a pump shotgun if you cycle the pump hard and fast in a quiet dark room whoever is in your home will hear your pump and even if they know nothing about guns there is no mistaking the sound that your gun will make and they will know that you know they are there
  • Options
    donnie1956donnie1956 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Snapping the bolt shut on an automatic has the same affect as a pump at night.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    The idea of using a 1100 is flawless as far as I can see. As for appearance... A good steel wooling and then some cold blue (or black paint for that matter) should do a fine job.

Slugs are the poorest of choices for "indoor" use. Anything from 9's down to 4's is appropriate. At the distances we're talking there won't be an appreciable difference. Both will put a hole the size of a baseball in the intended target.

Barrel cutting is a feel-good procedure in my opinion. Maybe it makes the gun look tougher, but it won't make the least bit of difference at 3 a.m. in the dark. Don't bother.

Same holds with the magazine. We're not talking a war here. God forbid you even need the first round, but if you do the fight will be over. Since the 1100 will digest five rounds, you'll still have four in reserve. Home invasions aren't the same as the OK Corral.

When it comes to actions, I prefer the auto. As stated above, the bolt clanging shut should serve as fair warning that a visitor is unwelcome and should probably remove to a different location. Pumps are reliable, but suffer from a cycle time and a jump as the cycle takes place. The A-5 and 1100 don't have that problem.

Perhaps that's why I never could see the need to cut the tube on my A-5. There's just no need for that modification on an already reliable and VERY intimidating firearm.

And... Thank HIM every day of your life that you didn't have to rely on the 1100 to wake up safely in the morning.

Nord
  • Options
    Tiger6Tiger6 Member Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There ara several edges to this blade. If you have never experienced shooting a 12ga inside an enclosed space, you should do so before depending on it for home defense. I have kept a S&W 12ga pump around for a long time, standing read-line duty, just in case. About a year ago I took my "Home Defender" to a CQB training site and fired the beast inside an 8x10 room and a hallway. The blast, overpressure & flash was riveting to say the least, and I was wearing ear plugs. During my planning for home defense, I expected some excitement should I ever actually fire the 12ga inside. However, I was clearly not ready for the degree of excitement this gun generated under home defense employment conditions.
    Although the "urban renewal" evidenced on the targets was impressive, I am not sure that had there been several invaders, that my recovery period from the effects of firing the 12ga inside would not have given them ample opportunity to engage me while I was at far less than 100% ability.
    Before deciding on your home defender, try firing it under like conditions and consider your abilities to continue the fight against more than one intruder; a lot of home invasions involve more than one perp. Consider your most likely not going to be wearing ear plugs, light conditions may not be favorable, and your heart rate & sweat * are working overtime, and your mind is racing... Practice before doing for real...
    I have added electronic hearing protectors to my "grab and do" gear, which protect against blast impact, while actually enabling me to hear sounds more clearly than normal. My second trip to the CQB range was far more productive. My second defense weapon, a ported, 4in 357 Colt Python, has been reloaded with less energetic rounds, as the flare out of the ports degraded my vision long enough to make me more of a target than a shooter.. And I have added a remote control light system to the house which has a panic button to turn on lights throughout the house, except in the master bedroom.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    George Orwell

TARGETS UP!
    TIGER6
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger , I only spent 175 and bought a Winchester Defender off of GB. Shipping was included in that figure. The gun was at least 95% and already set up. 8 rds, synthetic stock. I spent a few bucks and had the barrel threaded and now have a decent firearm for under 300/