In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I want to start reloading bullets...

phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2004 in Ask the Experts
I was thinking about the Dillon RL550B($329.95, http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=12&dyn=1& ), I mainly only want to reload .223, .357mag, and maybe .45ACP.
What I want to know is what else would I need to have a complete system? ie, Case cleaner/prep, etc...Dillon has three different Dies per caliber, Carbide Size/Deprime dies, Seating dies, and Crimp dies, do I need all three for each caliber? do you tighten thee dies by hand or will the RL550B handle that. I have never reloaded anything nor I have seen one in person. I have a source for cast bullets who also reloads(I buy guns and ammo from him aswell), next time I talk to him I will ask him about it too.
thanks for the response.

Spring 1911-A1 Mil-Spec
Glock 19C
Cav Arms CAV-15 MKII(AR-15)
S&W 19-4 .357 Mag 6" bbl
Henry Lever Action 22Mag
Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
Russian M38
Collection2.JPG
banner-big.jpg

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    As you have never reloaded before, while a fine machine, the Dillon might not be the best way to go.

I know there are probably a number who will disagree, but a good single stage press is a perfect way to learn what can be a lifetime hobby. The single stage will teach you each facet of the reloading process. While slower than the Dillon, you learn reloading rather than just how to pull a handle.

Hours have been spent by me carefully sliding the cleaned case into the shellholder and watching it accend into the decrimper/resizer die.
    The resized case then coming back down a fairly perfect case ready for the next operation.

I learned about proper lubrication (my first stuck case was my LAST stuck case). I learned that certain powders filled only half the case (I switched to a powder that filled up the case).

If speed is your primary concern, by all means go for the Dillon. I understand it is a very good machine. If your primary emphasis is enjoyment and learning, there are several companines that make good tools. I have used them all and I've never tired of them.

Good luck.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do a search on both this and the general forums, this topic has been covered quite often. Iconoclast has written a great piece of advise for new reloaders, it is worth reading.
    Yes, you need a complete die set for each cartridge.
    Unless your shooting several hundred (of each) rounds a week, IMHO your better off starting with a quality single stage press kit (like the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit for example). Even with a progressive press, like the Dillon 550, you will find yourself using the single stage press for various reloading tasks.
    Purchase several manuals first, they tell you what tools are needed and how they are used (the Speer manual comes with the RCBS kit, and, IMHO, the LEE manual isn't worth the paper it's printed on).

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trav, I have a copy of The ABC's of Reloading that you can borrow. May want to read it two or three times. I'm on my third.

JJ

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanx familyguy, next we go shooting maybe you could bring it?

Spring 1911-A1 Mil-Spec
    Glock 19C
    Cav Arms CAV-15 MKII(AR-15)
    S&W 19-4 .357 Mag 6" bbl
    Henry Lever Action 22Mag
    Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
    Russian M38
    Collection2.JPG
    banner-big.jpg
  • tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a pretty deep subject! I'll try to give you some basics.

Initial purchase of all your necessities will be expensive. Eventually, you'll save money reloading yourself. Especially if you shoot a lot.

I have a 550B. It's a great machine. Some will say you shouldn't start reloading on a progressive machine, but it's my first one. I helped my Dad many years ago on an old turret press though.

It's work to get it set up. Once you start making rounds, it goes fast. You have to set up the dies in the press so that the round will be the correct size when done. A good thing about the 550B is the toolheads are changable. So you can have one for each caliber and leave the dies set. You have to adjust the powder measure so the correct charge is in the round. This is very exact stuff!

You'll have to have a scale to measure the powder charge. Digital ones are really convenient!

You'll need the dies for your caliber. The 550B takes standard 7/8 dies, so you don't have to use Dillon's, although they are good dies. You'll need lube for the rifle dies.

Then you will need to clean your brass before you load it. So a cleaner, tumbler.

You'll definately need a manual for loading data.

Probably a case trimmer to size your .223 brass.

There are lots of accessories that you may want to add later to speed up or ease your process. But the 550B will crank out rounds pretty quickly. I like to load almost as much as shoot.

Dillon has a video maybe you should get. Might help with your decision.
  • tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a pretty deep subject! I'll try to give you some basics.

Initial purchase of all your necessities will be expensive. Eventually, you'll save money reloading yourself. Especially if you shoot a lot.

I have a 550B. It's a great machine. Some will say you shouldn't start reloading on a progressive machine, but it's my first one. I helped my Dad many years ago on an old turret press though.

It's work to get it set up. Once you start making rounds, it goes fast. You have to set up the dies in the press so that the round will be the correct size when done. A good thing about the 550B is the toolheads are changable. So you can have one for each caliber and leave the dies set. You have to adjust the powder measure so the correct charge is in the round. This is very exact stuff!

You'll have to have a scale to measure the powder charge. Digital ones are really convenient!

You'll need the dies for your caliber. The 550B takes standard 7/8 dies, so you don't have to use Dillon's, although they are good dies. You'll need lube for the rifle dies.

Then you will need to clean your brass before you load it. So a cleaner, tumbler.

You'll definately need a manual for loading data.

Probably a case trimmer to size your .223 brass.

There are lots of accessories that you may want to add later to speed up or ease your process. But the 550B will crank out rounds pretty quickly. I like to load almost as much as shoot.

Dillon has a video maybe you should get. Might help with your decision.
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also suggest a single stage press. There is nothing better to give you the feel of each stage of the reloading process.You will LEARN the procedure.Should you need to increase the speed that you reload, Dillon is an excellent choice. If you go to progressive, the single stage will still be used.Like everyones said, get a couple of manuals first, and see whats involved.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you are absolutely *certain* you will load an enormous amount of handgun ammo, there is no reason to invest in the far more expensive progressive loaders at this time. I loaded 100s of K rounds of pistol / rifle ammo on two RCBS single stage presses over the past 30 +/- years - I wore one of them out, in fact, but it took 20+ years to do it. A single stage press is simple, easy, and once you are familiar with the process, you can load 100+ rounds an hour outside of time spent cleaning brass &/or trimming it if needed. My vehement opinion is that there are only two companies worth considering: RCBS for single stage equipment and Dillon for progressives. Their products are absolutely top shelf, their customer service even better. You can load virtually *any* metallic cartridge on the single stage press - even a .50 BMG with special adaptor tooling. You can form brass from caliber A to obsolete (or very expensive) caliber B. Personally, I don't find I gain very much trying to load rifle ammo on a progressive, but straight wall pistol ammo . . . 500 to 1000 an hour, for sure.

You will need auxiliary equipment such as a powder scale, etc. RCBS puts together a basic package deal which is a good starting point. At some point, you may decide you want a digital scale & other more sophisticated items, but don't invest until you actually feel the need.

Two best references: NRA Guide to Reloading and the Lyman Metallic Cartridge Reloading Manual. I have many others, but I find I *always* consult the Lyman *first* and then, sometimes, look elsewhere. The great thing about Lyman is that they are not beholden to a particular line of bullets or powder as are the publishers of other manuals, so there are a variety of combinations, including lead bullet loads, across the entire spectrum of possibilities for most all 'normal' calibers - obviously, loads for .600 Nitro Express and the like are not covered.

Absolutely essential - IMCO - are a good set of calipers and, ideally, a good 0 - 1.000" micrometer. But the calipers for sure. Don't go cheap on this. Good measuring tools will pay for themselves many times over and properly maintained will last practically forever. I still have the verniers I bought when I started and the mic I bought a few years later. I'm sure I've used both 20,000 times ('Course, I measure a lot of collector ammo, also). Note - you can often find quality used tools; both of mine came from machinists moving up to digital tools, both had been used for a good five years in machine shops before I bought them and, like I said, they are still going strong. If you are in the bifocal generation, I'd invest in digital tools; I will have to do that soon.

Now here's the truth: don't plan to save money! Plan to shoot many more rounds for the same cost while taking pride in the knowledge that you "rolled your own!" You *may* be the exception, but 95+% of the people I know who reload don't reduce their overall outlays, they just shoot two to ten times more ammo.

Good luck - have fun - and if there's ever anything I can do to help you, please drop me a direct eml or post here.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • deceedecee Member Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest you start with reloading casings.
    Reloading bullets is very very difficult and dangerous to shoot
  • warcrobwarcrob Member Posts: 358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also suggest that the beginner start out on a single stage press. There are far too many variables to watch when you are reloading ammuntion. Even those who have been reloading for years and know what they are doing are prone to mistakes once in a while.

There are a good number of single stage starter kits on the market. A good econonomy starter kit is the Lee Challenger Kit, for about double the cost you could go with an RCBS Rock Chucker.

A good place to look for Kits is at midwayusa.com Pricing is resonable and they often times have kits on sale.

If you ain't got a sense of humor you got no business bein here!