In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

rifle ID Carcano?

4545 Member Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in Ask the Experts
Hey guys I found a rifle that I can not ID on the octagon barrel breech there is the following markings - o3 on bolt handle side center behind the fixed sight is the word TERNI on the left side opposite the bolt is the following KL 9521 and on the last side of the octogan is acircle with the letters PG then next to it is crossed riffles over a bullseye and next to that is the crown over the shield. this one I persume is the stamp for state exceptance. any help on this. the rifle does not match any photos I think that it has been altered , The barrel I think has been shortened by about 3-4 inches plus it lookis like the top heat sheild is missing. any help on this . Thanks Steve

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe you have one of the "Short Rifles" that the Italians put into service in the late 1930's.

Some were made from older infantry rifles that were cut down and reworked, with a fixed rear sight etc..

From your description of the barrel markings, it seem that it was originally made in the Terni arsenal in 1903.

luger_4.jpg
  • 4545 Member Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rufe snow is this possibly a 91 carcano or maybe another model?
    Thanks Steve
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 45
    rufe snow is this possibly a 91 carcano or maybe another model?
    Thanks Steve

It was originaly manufactured as a Model 1891 Rifle.

The modification that was put into service in 1938, was known as the Model 1891-38 Short Rifle.

luger_4.jpg
  • jakelinjakelin Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The crossed rifes proof stamping means this one was selected for "special accuracy" when it was tested at the proof house. It means it shot better than the run of the mill they had coming thru. I have had only one that was marked so in my years of gun collecting, but they are still not worth much.

John
  • 4545 Member Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Thanks guys for the helpful info. Happy shooting to all. Steve