In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

410 for skeet?

geneinncgeneinnc Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in Ask the Experts
Beretta, Citori or other quality 410 O/U wanted. Skeet chokes are a must. Or would full length rededuction tubes in my 20 or 28 Beretta combo work as well? Opinion on the different tubemakers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gene

Comments

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you meant to post this in the WTB forum...

I personally would think twice about getting a .410 for skeet. Unless the shooter simply can't handle the recoil from a 20 gauge... The .410 shells are extremely high. I have a Remington 1100 .410 with a complete barrel set (Skeet, IC, Mod, Full) and it mostly sits in the safe because .410's are so expensive to shoot.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Browning all guage skeet and enjoy shooting the 28ga and .410 the most. If nothing else, they show what bad habits you may have picked up shooting 12ga. As with any other guage, they can be reloaded.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if i was tooled up, id make you a set, but alas, im in stop production mode until my family crisis passes. personally id get a true 410, like a nice citori. fyi, a tube is a tube is a tube. any company will do. will you be competing in 410? its a hard ga to master. youll get better performance with a heavier gun. in that case the insert tubes in your 20ga guns would be the advantage. use the 20ga gun. it gives the mfgr more bore to work with making your 410 tubes stronger.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    stringstring Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My son,who is 9,uses one at the range for skeet.He does very well with it and to be honest I love to use it myself.I have no problem hitting anything with that little 410.Sure it cost more to shoot,but it is a kick in the pants!!! If you get good at it ,it sure will make alot of folks with a fancy o/u mad!!! Just my 2
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might look around at shops, ect. I passed on a nice Winchester 101 with 20ga, 28ga and .410 barrell sets (factory skeet) for $2600 a few years ago. I'm still kicking myself over that one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    string........ 410 is a great round for 9 year olds. congrats on him learning it. but, if our poster plans on competing, he will have to do it 100 times per day without missing. its at that level 410 becomes tuff to master and its at that point a top dollar gun is a must. balance will become a key issue. most shooters overreact with 410 after shooting 12/20/28; and, most matches officials will stick the 410 event in with the 12 or 20 during a weekend event to mix up the muscle memory for the competitors. 410 is a tricky game. some prefer no recoil and weigh down the gun to absorb it. some want recoil to mimick the larger ga's to help them match the events more closely. i think its for this reason he may be asking the opinions of the experts as to which way he should he go. if not, i just told him! its up to him. does he want to remove all flinch and overreaction or make it match the 28 or 20 and kick a little? its now up to him to decide. lets see what he says.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My point being well made.!! I don't think someone just starting out should go and buy a 4000.00 dollar gun unless they learn the basics of shooting.Wouldn't you agree as an expert or am I missing something.thanks string
  • Options
    edited November -1
    on the contrary, i do think he should pay top dollar. it appears he already has. he stated he owns a beretta 20/28 combo. and they dont just grow on trees. (i think thats what you missed.[:p]) i would suggest the potential competitor spare no expense, so he cant blame the gun for not doing what its suppose to do. ditto for any other gun disipline. and like i said, all this advi'c'e, (note the c, not an s everybody,) is if he plans on putting 1000.00 entry fees on the line to win sanctioned 410 events. the post originally asked for a choice btwn 3 model guns and an input on tube mfgers, therefore its gun related. it meets expert room status. we may have steered it off course ourselves by answering, but its a legit question for experts. i say he should answer us now, so we can answer more specifically. [:)]

Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes,I will agree.Would like to know the answer.Thanks