In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shepard Scopes

A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
edited February 2004 in Ask the Experts
I see them advertised in SGN but have never seen one nor know of anyone who has used one and can offer an opinion. From their ad, it looks good.

Comments

• Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look back thru these postings. There was recently some discussion and advice on them from several people that might interest you.Since those discussions I have one I'm going to try to return to them for warranty work After 10 years. I'll see if they stand behind their products for real or not.-- I have two of them and have had generally good luck with them.They have good clear optics, are good in poor light and really do adjust for bullet drop well -- but they are not perfect. The one I'm having trouble with doesn't hold it's zero well anymore, and when you adjust it it may move a 1/4" for one click at 100yds or it might move a couple of inches or more. That being said, I've had it since 1994 and really haven't had much trouble with it and no trouble with the other one that's 6 or 7 years old. -- Keep in mind that you can't just switch them to another rifle unless the caliber matches pretty well with ballistics of your other gun. If it doesn't then it won't compensate for bullet drop properly on the next gun and your stuck with a $600.00+ scope you can't swap. -- Just food for thought.-- I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one though.-- Unless they don't stand behind this one for repairs......[8D]....... Good luck........[8D]
  • Options
    Big StickBig Stick Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are a notorious POS..................
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Thanks. That's the sort of opinion I was looking for. Let us know how it turns out on the warranty issue. Sometimes the deciding factor is how you are treated when you need something done under warranty. (Warranty is the reason why my next truck won't be a Chevy)

quote:Originally posted by temblor
    Look back thru these postings. There was recently some discussion and advice on them from several people that might interest you.Since those discussions I have one I'm going to try to return to them for warranty work After 10 years. I'll see if they stand behind their products for real or not.-- I have two of them and have had generally good luck with them.They have good clear optics, are good in poor light and really do adjust for bullet drop well -- but they are not perfect. The one I'm having trouble with doesn't hold it's zero well anymore, and when you adjust it it may move a 1/4" for one click at 100yds or it might move a couple of inches or more. That being said, I've had it since 1994 and really haven't had much trouble with it and no trouble with the other one that's 6 or 7 years old. -- Keep in mind that you can't just switch them to another rifle unless the caliber matches pretty well with ballistics of your other gun. If it doesn't then it won't compensate for bullet drop properly on the next gun and your stuck with a $600.00+ scope you can't swap. -- Just food for thought.-- I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one though.-- Unless they don't stand behind this one for repairs......[8D]....... Good luck........[8D]
  • Options
    pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had the P1 and P2 model for some years now, good hunting scopes, but somewhat heavy. Excellent optics. Haven't had to return to factory yet, I too am interested howTEMBLOR turns out. Great hunting scope if you do really long shooting (i.e. OVER 500 yards).

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tremblor,
    If your scope looks like the one on the current Shepherd web page then it's what I call the Second Generation which has had almost zero problems.
    On the other hand, if it's different, then it was made by Hakko. Same company that produces the infamous Springfield Armory scopes, and almost put Dan Shepherd's business on it's knees because of poor QC. Your problems are almost "on target" of that model.

If it's the First Generation, then Big Stick could be right, but only if First Gen.

Additional Info on models vs ballistics:
    Reticle stadia are set up from ballistics. Since no gun shoots exactly like the books-computer list, it is very, very possible that you may use the SAME scope on rifles with silmilar ballistics.

Try shooting groups with different ammo, create a Drop Chart list, and compared the ammo results to the scopes ballistic specs.
    Many times it can be so-so close, it's splitting hairs.

Shepherd will take care of you under warranty as long as there wasn't any damage due to accident, misuse, and incorrect mounting (affects internals).

Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We will see if they do guns&glass.It's one thing to say you will and another to do it.I've had problems with high dollar Leupolds before, but they really will stand behind their products.-- I think this is one of the new type scopes, as it does look like the ones they currently sell in the pictures. I've used this scope on different guns and calibers with good luck (primarily 308 win & 30.06)and know what works on what, but some of the guys asking about them may not know that. I was just trying to make sure they are aware that you don't just swap them around from magnums to standard calibers,make a large investment and be disappointed later.You can even tailor your handloads from different calibers and make them work pretty well, but if that was the best way they would only make one reticle for all calibers.They really only help for very long range shooting and aren't needed for practical big game hunting distances if you know what you are doing anyway.-- Good for targets and plates, varmits like coyotes,etc.....[8D]
    Let you know how the warranty work goes.......[8D]