In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Textured Paint Metal Finish

jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
edited April 2006 in Ask the Experts
I picked up a Win. 1200 and am refinishing it. I think I've descided to go with a black composite stock and forearm. What I would really like to do is put an aerosol spray finish on it similar to what the rem. 870's have on them. The ones with the semi-flat textured, black finish on them. Is there a spray on product I can buy to closely duplicate that type of finish? I looked at Brownells and saw some black spray grit. Does anyone know if that would work to spray on first and then cover with something like Gun-Kote, or is the grit too big? I'm just looking for a low/no gloss finish that would look good with Win.'s factory composite black stocks. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Ben

Comments

• Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I would just blast the metal and gunkote/duracoat it. If you worry about sand getting caught in it, or dont want to take it all the way down to avoid sand getting caught in it use cheap sugar. I learned this from a local gunsmith and did it on my dads old Stevens double barrel and it turned out nice. Sugar disolves easily in alchohol and isnt too corse to really rought up the metal. It would look good with synthetics stocks.