In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Plinking gun advice wanted

spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
edited April 2006 in Ask the Experts
Okay... I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket ('twas my birthday) and I've decided that I want "just one more" gun. I've got roughly $300 to spend, more or less.

I don't need a defensive weapon. I want something that is cheap to shoot and that's pretty much it... so I'm thinking a .22 would do the job.

I've never had a .22 before. So, I've some questions and I'm looking for advice.

1. Would you choose a rifle or a handgun?

2. I've got a Mini-14, and I've looked at a few 10/22s. Do you like the 10/22? Is there something better you'd prefer for cheap plinking?

I'd prefer a semi-auto versus a bolt, although I could go with a pump (I shoot lefty, so I'd rather not look and look for a bolt-action).

What suggestions can you give me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    I don't think anyone here is gonna disagree that the Ruger 10/22 is one of the best, reasonably priced, semi-auto 22's made. I have two of them and love them both, never having a problem with either. There is also an endless supply of aftermarket parts for them (probably more aftermarket parts for the 10/22 than there are for any other 22 made) should you choose to upgrade a part or build something completely different out of it. 10/22 gets my vote, you really can't go wrong with them. Good luck!

Ben
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    go cheap and relible. marlin 60
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I second the motion on the Ruger. The 10/22 is one fine rifle. If you choose a handgun for the money I would choose the ruger auto will bull barrel. Both are accurate and reliable and a lot of fun to shoot targets or cans in the woods.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    That's EASY! A Ruger New Model Single Six. I've owned many guns in my life (probably well over 100) and IMO the Single Six is by far the one I've had the most FUN with.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A fun gun - and you're open to a pump action? Take a look at the Taurus 22's. Copies of older Winchester 22s.
    I've handled a few, they seem well made & lots of fun. Pretty sure they also make a semi auto Winchester knock off.
    My fun 22 is a Marlin 39 if you're interested in tne lever actions.
  • Options
    9mmsmith9mmsmith Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest the Ruger Mark III Target pistol. Its awesome just like the Mark II Targets were.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I'd choose a .22 pistol over a rifle for plinking/fun purposes, but that depends on where you are going to shoot and what kind of shooting you'd like to do. If you have lots of apace a rifle makes sense. Also, if you spend wisely, I think you could get BOTH and still make your budget of $300 (see below).

Pistol: Whichever Ruger 22 auto you like the best (I'd suggest stainless steel, bull barrel, and adjustable sights).

No, they aren't the best 22s on the planet, but for the dollar, none of the other .22 pistols in that price range are nearly so reliable or rugged. Used Mk IIs run about $200, give or take.

Rifle: Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60. Either one makes a great low cost .22 semi-auto.

You've heard the advantages of the 10/22 above.

The Marlin has a few advantages. One is that the gun can be found a lot cheaper than 10/22s. You can get a great condition used Marlin 60 for under $100, meaning if you shop around and look carefully, you could get BOTH your auto Ruger AND the .22 rifle for your budget of $300!

Other minor advantages are probable slight increase in accuracy of a model 60 over the stock 10/22. The tubular magazine is also a boon if there are 'high cap' restrictions in your area, and its one less part to lose.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My son just bought a Savage model 63 semi-auto. It's not the greatest in the accuracy department. But he likes it. It was only $100 and came with the most pathetic little 4 power 1/2" tube you ever saw. Once we got it zeroed it would shoot 2-3" groups at 50 yds. So, that's not my standard of accuracy but it's semi-automatic and he likes that. Great for plinking.

Otherwise, I would highly recommend looking at CDNN's little Charles Daly(Zastava) .22 bolt action, with 5 shot clip. $149.)) You can't go wrong. For a plinking pistol I would look at a used Browning Buckmark. New would definitely bring you in under $300. -good luck
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    Ruger 10/22 for the rifle. This gun is great and will give years of trouble free service. If it ever does give you some trouble Ruger has one of the best customer service departments going.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I am already a fan of Ruger (I've got the Mini-14, P89 and Super Blackhawk).

I saw bunches and bunches of them yesterday at the gun show, so I think I'm heading back today to pick one up (10/22) I appreciate the advice!

Wife voted for a rifle. I figure I can always customize it to my liking (just like the Mini).
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you own a 10/22 and you want something else to plink with? you cant get any cheaper than that!
    300.00? shoot your 10/22 and buy 300.00 worth of 22 ammo.
    semi handguns require mag loading, which wears out your finger in due time. takes away from the fun of plinking. try a revolver with a good ejector. buy two of them so while one is being loaded and cooled, you can shoot the other one. 2 old hi standard double 9's should do the trick real nice for 300.00.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    you own a 10/22 and you want something else to plink with? you cant get any cheaper than that!
    300.00? shoot your 10/22 and buy 300.00 worth of 22 ammo.
    semi handguns require mag loading, which wears out your finger in due time. takes away from the fun of plinking. try a revolver with a good ejector. buy two of them so while one is being loaded and cooled, you can shoot the other one. 2 old hi standard double 9's should do the trick real nice for 300.00.

No, I don't own a 10/22 (not yet). I own a Mini-14. Different weapon (but I know you know that).
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my bust...i saw mini 14 and thought you had a 10/22. it was in the same sentence. oops! [:I]
    get a 10/22. serious.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll have one in the next three or four hours.

There's a big-box store that has them on sale today in Denver. Knowing that's the price (I'm bringing the ad with me), I'm going to see what I can get (I don't really want a used one, I'd prefer new) and, if I can't beat that price, try to negotiate with one of the dealers at the gun show to match the price.

But, either way, I'll have a 10/22 by this afternoon.

And I thank everyone for their help.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buckmark rifle looking good too, if you can find one under $300