In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Kel-Tec 380 problem

sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
edited April 2006 in Ask the Experts
I am having a problem when unloading my Kel-Tec 380 P3AT. I drop out the loaded clip and attempt to remove the round in the chamber and the extractor pulls the round out of the chamber but will not flip the round out of the gun.

It makes no difference how many times I rack the slide. Won't pop out. So I have to hold the slide back and punch the round out through the bottom to get it out.

The gun fires fine. Quite a mystery. Does anyone have any ideas?

I did fire off an e-mail to Kel-Tec today to see what they think. Probably will say send it in to the factory.

Comments

• sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I wanted to add the serial number on the Kel-Tec is H2127. I don't know if this is a first gen or second gen pistol.
  • merlinnmerlinn Member Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Second gen. pistols have a flat spring screwed to the rt.side of the slide with a button head screw that holds the extractor tight.Also 2nd gen. slides have a wide flat on top as opposed to the early models that were angled on each side leaving only a narrow flat on top. Hope this helps.
    edited November -1
    Thanks "Merlinn" it appears mine it the first gen since it has the angled top with a small flat.

Do you have any idea why the came out with the second gen so quickly?
  • tlentlen Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    I have zero experience with a Kel-Tec .380, but I can tell you that SOME autopistols, especially the smaller ones, will not reliably extract and eject a loaded round from the chamber. They may fire, extract, and eject the empties just fine, but not a loaded round.

Guns that I have owned that exhibited this trait were a Colt Government '70 Series .45, a Baby Browning, and a Bauer .25 auto.
  • civiliansoldierciviliansoldier Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not fear if you are asked to send it to the factory. They took real good care of a friend of mine when he just walked into the company' office.(we live in the same town as the factory, Cocoa Florida) They fixed the gun, replaced all the springs just because, test fired it, cleaned it, oiled it up, and returned it to him in about 20 minutes and charged him nothing! They will take care of you.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you lost the ejector when you took the pistol apart.
    It just lays loosely in the frame and will easily disappear when you remove the slide.
    Service at Keltec is excellent but you'd save yourself time and shipping if you first check for the ejector.
    edited November -1
    The extractor is fine, just checked it. Its a large and very strong part for such a small gun. I think "nunn" hit the nail on the head about small guns not extracting unfired rounds by hand.

If you rack the slide all the way back with a round in the chamber it pulls the round out of the chamber just fine, but it appears there is not enough room to clear the chamber. The round it too long. Of course, once it is fired it is not a problem since the lead is gone and the brass remaining is very short. Maybe thats the answer.

The pistol fires and ejects just fine. Only a problem when unloading the pistol. I am using Winchester Silvertips, which are hollowpoints, a bit shorter than ball.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the imput!
    edited November -1
    Lock up this dead horse!