In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Returning handguns to manufacturers...

espo28espo28 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
edited April 2006 in Ask the Experts
Hi, I have a basic question regarding repairs on handguns. If you chose to send your gun back to the manufacturer for service, how is this done? Can you simply put it in a priority box and ship (I'm guessing not!) or do you have to disassemble it? put it in a lockbox? or simply have a FFS dealer do it for you?

Thanks for your help, I'm dealing with a malfunctioning brand new Taurus Gaucho 45 and I am trying to decide whether I should just bring it back to the original store of purchase and get a cash refund, or have it repaired. I gotta tell you, it does rankle me somewhat that a handgun needs a critical repair out of the box...Taurus isn't wearing any gold ribbons as far as I can see. Poor quality control for sure. BTW, the problem is a defective cocking mechanism that allows the gun to fire from full cock without the need to pull the trigger...maybe I should just get the Colt 45 SAA and be done with it!

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can only ship a handgun by UPS or Fedex Next Day Air, which will probably cost you $50. Your dealer can ship it by USPS Priority Mail, &, since you bought the gun from him, likely will mail it for you without charge.

Yes, you aren't the first to experience problems with Taurus. But, they always fix the problems promptly. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer to have the gun made right so it didn't need fixing.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    You can only ship a handgun by UPS or Fedex Next Day Air, which will probably cost you $50. Your dealer can ship it by USPS Priority Mail, &, since you bought the gun from him, likely will mail it for you without charge.

Yes, you aren't the first to experience problems with Taurus. But, they always fix the problems promptly. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer to have the gun made right so it didn't need fixing.

Neal

Neal, thanks for the info. I know what you mean...tough to swallow such a defect on a brand new gun. And a serious defect at that, yikes! Glad I didn't bring it stright to the range as I had originally planned.

Interesting to know you can mail these things though...with federal regs being what they are I'm surprised they haven't clamped down on that, maybe I shouldn't say that too loud :)

Mike
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you buy defective merchandise, always see your dealer first. He may well take care of the problem by replacing the item or refunding your money, or by returning the item for you. If not, call the manufacturer for instructions. S&W has sent me pre-paid shipping labels before so I wasn't out any money at all. Sorry to hear about your Taurus. Defective products can (and do) happen with all companies. Some more than others, though. Good luck on your problem. It is a big PITA to return a "New" item.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TWalker
    When you buy defective merchandise, always see your dealer first. He may well take care of the problem by replacing the item or refunding your money, or by returning the item for you. If not, call the manufacturer for instructions. S&W has sent me pre-paid shipping labels before so I wasn't out any money at all. Sorry to hear about your Taurus. Defective products can (and do) happen with all companies. Some more than others, though. Good luck on your problem. It is a big PITA to return a "New" item.

I purchased the item from Cabela's. When I called the supervisor he was extremely concerned and offered all possible solutions from cash refund to local gunsmith repair to Taurus repair to even exchanges. I have no problem at all with them, they were extremely nice. My problem is that I'm an hour away from the store and was considering doing it myself to save some driving time. But the more I think about it I think I'm going for the cash back and purchase either the Colt (bigger bucks of course...) or a Ruger New Vaquero.

Thanks for your suggestions...

Mike
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--I've done it twice with S&W and three times with Weatherby-as Twalker says-they will send you a "billable Stamp" to address the package and each time I've used FEDEX --at no cost to me. You have to call the MFG or see what your dealer has to say-[:o)][:o)]--JIMBO