In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

full auto P38

gamblergambler Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited April 2006 in Ask the Experts
My friend bought an old P38 from our local gunshop. We took it out to see how well it shot. I loaded the magazine and released the slide. I hadnt touched the trigger but the weapon fired all rounds (Full Auto) in the magazine immediatley after going into battery. I know the weapon wasnt designed to do this very scary thing. Anyone have any ideas what may have happened? He loaded an empty casing with a live primer and released the slide again but it didnt fire. He applied the safety and the hammer fell, firing the primer in the case. I am kinda lost here. Watta ya think just a worn out wall hanger now?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first occurrence when it went full-auto. When the slide was released with out finger on trigger, seems to point at the firing pin sticking. Or malfunction in hammer drop safety mechanism. Personally I would take the pistol back to the local gunshop, as this is a very dangerous liability/safety problem that they should be held responsible for.

If this isn't feasible, use the disassembly instructions at this web-site,

http://www.marstar.ca/AssemblyWalther.htm

to remove the sheet metal cover. Inspect the internal components associated with the firing pin and hammer drop safety for breakage and cleanlyness. If the internal parts are broken or missing they can be replaced. Many on-line parts suppliers carry replacement parts for P 38's.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Sometimes the firing pin breaks, sometimes the hammer notches wear. It's not an uncommon occurance with P.38's
    The hammer is SUPPOSED to fall when you apply the safety but it's not supposed to fire a cartridge. Therefore I'm thinking the problem is the firing pin and cartridge indicator being broken. This is something better left to the shop to fix for you.
  • Options
    jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet that was a trip for ya. [:D][8D]
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Glad noone was hurt or killed. Just remember boys and girls this is why we always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Let us know what the gunshop tells you.
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this is why i use this technique when first firing a new semi-auto. load only TWO rounds. when you pull the trigger there are three possible responses. first: nothing happens (probably weak or broken FP or spring) second: BOTH rounds fired (either stuck FP or worn sear;; somebvody was trying to improve trigger pull) third: only one fires (so far so good, you may now procede!)
    Good luck
    Morty
  • Options
    gamblergambler Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. You wont believe this but I live in so. Cal. We have several gun dealers in my area but not a gunsmith within 50 miles. The states liability laws and commercial storage laws are claimed to be the culprit according to some shop owners that went out of business. Anyway thanks for all the info. You guys are best
  • Options
    jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you fired a gun full auto (accidentally) in CA and you haven't disappeared into the Gulag yet?
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be a shear or hammer catch is broke or improperly installed.

Here's a diagram of parts from numrich that may assist you if you want to try to repair it yourself.
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=2100zP38