In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Does anyone know about this gun?

bdbatesbdbates Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
This is a very old gun. I was my great grandpa's.I only has 4 number for serial number. No writing. Very light weight. Only weights about 3 lbs. One person told me that it had been a rifle and was bored out to a shot gun, another person told me that is was made from sears, he said they were a dime a dozen, so I asked him to get me one and he couldn't, but he did offer to buy it. [img][/img]gunbp2.th.jpg/gun2ve3.th.jpg[img][/img]24414875il7.th.jpg/

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    just from the pics it is a muzzle loader ,,most likely made in belgium.sold through the sears catalog in the late 1800s..probly was about 2.50 at the time..if its a smooth bore it is problaly a light fowling piece..not much collector interest..search the muzzle loading shotguns
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for your reply why does it not have a name or other writing on it
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There may be writing on the sidelocks or on the rib.
    Cock the hammers to half cock, push out the wedge in the forend noting it only goes one way, lift the barrel up and out of the stock.
    There should be proof marks under the barrel at the breech.
    If we could get better photos including all markings, it would be helpful. Also, measure the bores as best you can.
    From the weight, it sounds like a youth or ladies model
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,554 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    they were bread and butter guns imported by the thousands some were marked by the importer there might be a name under all the patina some were..in your travles find an old sears reproduction catalog there are pages and pages of guns offered by sears..in the early days the sears cat was the settlers bible ..hang it up on the wal and enjoy it
  • Options
    edited November -1
    cant get the barrel off it has one screw behind hammer and also looks to be old little nails in the would and the powder horn has little nails all the way around it the serial number is 82xx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    it is 47 inches long
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bdbates,

I fixed your pictures so we can see them at an appropriate size.

gunbp2.jpg

gun2ve3.jpg

24414875il7.jpg

Best.