In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A-5 crack

moretoysmoretoys Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking at an old A-5 browning, 4 digit ser#, that has a crack in the receiver. on the left side, about 1/3 back from the forearm, right behind that rectangular port, is about a 1" vertical crack. Is this something common in old A-5's? what might cause something like this? Safe to say this leaves the gun with little or no value?

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is most definitely is not common to find Browning A-5s with a cracked frame. Yes it is safe to say that it no longer has much value other than a piece parts gun (which could be several hundred $$$ if the barrel and stocks are in good shape). This is one of the few times that I advocate stripping a gun for all of its usable parts.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The forces of firing these guns are resisted by the bolt's locking lug
    engaged in the barrel extension. The receiver isn't a structural part & doesn't normally figure into it.
    The frame shouldn't see heavy loads UNLESS the friction rings
    are missing or improperly set up for the loads being shot.And I wouldn't shoot 2 3/4" magnums in the gun.
    Another error is to oil the magazine tube which will inhibit action of the friction brake components and conceivably crack the action.
    If it's a 16 gauge, it may have the shorter chamber that was overloaded
    by using 2 3/4" heavy loads.
    If it were mine, I'd have the extent of the crack determined by Magnaflux, repaired by TIG welding and then refinished. I'd keep a sharp watch on the repaired area.