In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Inserts in a Damascus twist barrel

scubabobfscubabobf Member Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I may be able to procure a 10 gauge Damascus twist barrel side by side.
Could I safely use 12 or 20 gauge inserts to fire modern shells? It seems the pressure would be handled by the inserts rather than the barrel. Thank you for opinions. Regards.
Scubabobf

Comments

• Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I would not do it. There is still pressure in the barrels for about 18 inches until the powder is finished burning.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    NO...................! ABSOLUTLY NOT......!
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to disagree with both the Capt and Wehrmacht_45.

Briley specifically makes inserts for the older damascus barreled SxS shotguns in subgauges like you mention. As long as the action lock-up is tight (no wobble), I say go for it.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Bert, seen it done many a time and I have shot a few of them myself. I would go with a full length tube over a chamber insert just to get a better shot pattern, and some extra insurance if there is any barrel pitting.
    Chamber inserts work okay for pattern, but work much better when the insert gauge is closer to the shotguns original gauge. A 12ga in a 10ga will work much better than a .410 in a 12ga.
    As to strength, I know someone that has turned down surplus 8mm Mauser barrels for barrel inserts to make a double rifles. The inserts were then epoxy bedded into the shotgun barrels and lazer bore sighted while the epoxy set up. Although I wouldn't recommend this, it works great with no sign of failure.
  • Options
    JKJK Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use discretion. +++ bert/Trapp that it can and has been be done . Rule of thumb. Try to stick to the same (or close to it) thickness of material as original at that point along the bbl
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Absolutely, yes you can. You can have Briley (or others) make 20 gauge inserts for a 10/12 ga that have complete integrity by themselves. But you need to be wary of the rest of the old gun. If it checks out OK, I would suggest low pressure loads only. I have hunted with an old cogger that had a classic external hammer 12 ga double sleeved for 28 ga. It turned out fine except it is a mighty heavy 28 gauge. The Double Gun Journal had an article in one of the 1999 quarterly's about this very issue. The full sleeves are not interchangable and are a fairly pricey undertaking.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somewhere here on the Experts forum was posted a link to a gunsmith that specializes in lining the barrels of Damascus barreled shotguns t smaller gauges.
  • Options
    scubabobfscubabobf Member Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the good and candid advice. I will post the results if I go thru with the deal. Thank you again.