In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser "Broomhandle" part

blacarrowblacarrow Member Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Any leads appreciated on a front sight (dovetail) and rear sight aperture for a circa 1916 Broomhandle Mauser.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    The front sight isn't dovetailed on a C96, it's part of the barrel. In System Mauser is photo of a C96 mated with a Parabellum barrel. That's the only dovetailed front sight I've ever seen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry, P3skyking, I'm looking at it and IT IS dovetailed, and the serial number indicates about 1916.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Blacarrow I looked at my Broomhandle's and they all have front sight as part of the barrel . is it possible that someone modified your pistol and it now would use something like a LUGER front sight? These are dovetailed. If so I might be able to help you.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This photo off the net, shows a World War One era Broom Handle. Although it's a 9mm, the integral front sight would be the same on the .30 Mauser chambered pistols.

RedNine1.JPG
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Blacarrow:

The Mauser depicted above (you didn't say what caliber) should have a 50-500m sight.

If .30 cal, it should have a 50-1000m sight.

Both calibers were made in 1916 (.30cal. slightly less during that year)

I don't know if it matters re. the rear sight aperture, but if you come across a rear sight assembly for sale, and are considering the purchase, its best to know what is appropriate for your pistol. Best, Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry,

I should have included that it is a .30 caL.

The barrel may have been modified to accept a dovetail front sight or it could be a special model. Broomhandles are not my area of expertise. I'll try to develop more info.

Thanks to all who have responded.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    It's been modified by someone outside the factory.
    Get the book I mentioned if you are serious.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even mine has the sight like shown above & I had it rebarreled.