In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

old Python Re-blue???

justright58justright58 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Good Day Forum,
I recently obtained an old Colt Python, made in 1969. 4" tube and about 80% overall. It has quite a bit of holster wear and unfortunately a few nasty rust 'sores'. I've cleaned it as well as I can and am seriously wanting to get it re-blued. There is an excellent refinisher here in Florida, but I would like to know if it would be better to have Colt do the re-blue as per value sake. I only gave $400 for the piece and intend to keep it always. The company here known as Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing has done a couple of other guns for me with one year warranty and for $190 per, they do really fine work.
Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.
John[8D]

Comments

• Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally i would send it back to Colt, they can duplicate the factory finish!
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt has no parts for obsolete guns. There have been several engineering changes to the Python, & the odds are that you will need some parts that Colt won't have.

You can try your local company. Personally, I'd use Pittsburgh Handgun, although I am sure they will charge a lot more.

Neal

"You get what you pay for, sometimes less."
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Refinishing a gun always makes it lose collector's value, though its not clear that this gun has all that much anyway.

Personally, if I were going to refinish a "shooter", I'd go with a hard chrome (or equivalent) finish.

How much would it suck if your re-blued gun re-rusted?