In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taurus PT 911 w/ tac rail one of a kind?

pyromancy5pyromancy5 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I purchased a Taurus PT911 in Blue about a year ago, and it has been a wonderful first gun for me. I bought this gun new in the box from a Taurus dealer. I recently became curious about it when I noticed I had never, and still have never seen another PT911 with a tactical rail on it. Taurus did not have any on their web site, so I called them up. A Taurus representative told me they do not make a PT911 with a tactical rail, and have never made one. They ran my serial number and it came up as a 2006 PT911-B with the 15 round capacity, which matches what I have, except for the fact that mine has a tactical rail. I was told by that same Taurus representative that my gun is something that "must have gotten out", and that I was a lucky person to have something that was likely the only one in existence. I have checked with 3 different local gun stores, and none of their archives have any record of this model with the tactical rail.

How much would something like this be worth?

Is here any such thing as a taurus collector?

Who would be interested in such a unique, truly one of a kind firearm?

If you want to see pictures, here it is. http://floridaguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=562

Also, this is NOT an 1911, this is a 911. if you want a picture, its on guntrader

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pyromancy5
    How much would something like this be worth?

Whatever someone would be willing to pay for it.

The way these things are usually determined in the real world is by offering them up for auction. Then the real world actual price (instead of somebody's wild-@#$ guess) is determined.

quote:Is here any such thing as a taurus collector?
    Probably some somewhere, but not nearly so many as those who collect the more famous American brands (Colt, Smith and Wesson, etc). Taurus has had variable quality over the years, and most collectors would be more interested in collecting original Berettas and Smiths rather than Latin American knockoffs (of whatever quality).

quote:Who would be interested in such a unique, truly one of a kind firearm?
    This is hardly the only compact 9mm with an accessory rail around, and despite that, it may not be quite as unique as you think.

Taurus makes a gun similar to the 911 with an accessory rail called the 909; the two are in the same Taurus series. From what I can tell, the 909 has a different (curvy) grip, but I suspect the top ends may interchange (meaning your gun might just be a 909 frame with a 911 slide). What does the grip on your gun look like?.

Does this gun look familiar (Taurus 909)?
    H_909B.jpg

How about this one (Taurus 911)?
    911B.jpg

If you're angling for a sale here, you're best off using the actual auction site. Generally speaking, I kind of doubt that anyone would be willing to pay significantly more for your gun than the retail price of a new one (without the rail).

In fact, considering that resale value of used Taurus guns is often considerably less than the retail price, I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't even get full retail price for it.

But again, these are just my guesses. The "answer" is whatever price someone bids at auction.

quote:
    If you want to see pictures, here it is. http://floridaguntrader.com/index.php?a=2&b=562
    I would actually, but that link doesn't seem to work for me.

You might consider posting the image directly in this post (directions on how to do that can be found in the sticky above).
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Exactly. Value is what one party is willing to pay for what another party willing to sell when neither is under duress.
  • Options
    pyromancy5pyromancy5 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 909 is similar to the 911 in that it has the cirved handle of the 92, the 911 with the straight handle is a different model. i called taurus, and they verified the serial number as a pt911 with 15 round capacity made in 2006. the only problem is they have no record of making the 911 with the tac rail. there is one other for sale on gunbroker, and that's the only one i have ever seen. just look for it and you'll find it. the 909 is similar , but not the same gun. im not calling a compact 9mm with a rail unique by any means, it seems like all compacts (and sub-c's) have one, but this model in specific, has never been produced with a rail, and that is fact which does make it unique. the one on gun broker was a demo piece, which is probably how it got out, but they are charging 465 for it and i got mine for 100 bucks less than that new. the fact is, I might just hold on to it, and wait until I do meet the rare bird known as a taurus collector. Although, you are correct that they will be looking for the 1970's "Hecho en Brazilia" models, which were made after the brazilian government seized the beretta factory and made the first TAURUS guns.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=109065655
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=109161465

There are two currently listed on gunbroker.

BTW, I wouldn't trust anything that Taurus customer service says. In my experience they are rude, inept, and almost totally uneducated about their products.

Your gun is just an upgraded model that they have not listed on their web site yet.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are there Taurus collectors or a Taurus collectors society? If it were a one of a kind, would there be enough interest generated to offer the gun for auction and expect a great return?

Not withstanding my excellent experience with my Tauri(?), this may be an item a little too far off mainstream to generate much interest without some documented association with a significant event or person.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    pyromancy5,

This is just my honest opinion. Over the last 20 years of dealing, selling and gunsmithing, there has been no devout collectors assosciation of the Taurus brand. There actually has been no consistant quality, good or bad(but I wish you the best, and that you never have to test it in a firefight), with Taurus. Even if it were a one of few(as has been stated there has been another seen at auction), IMHO it is still not going to be worth anything near of what you paid for it. The market for a used Taurus of any type is almost literally in the toilet.

If you truly are looking for something with increasing value, then COLT is the only word in handguns.

Best