In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.50 BMG

QuagarQuagar Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I know the Vulcan has been panned, what about Armalite?[?]

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I recently received an armalite .50 bmg rifle and i am fixin to hunt me some turkey or maybe deer with it. Will i need a hollow point load to take down this type of game or will full metals do the trick?

WordBorn!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just any thoughts on this rifle. I am thinking of putting one together. There are many barrel makers and getting an action seems easy. Of course there are some BushMasters available.
    Thanks
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    Quagar: You seem to be in Kalifornia.

Forget it. You can't build one or buy one there.

Your Republican(???) governor happily signed this Democrat bill to outlaw new ownership of these a while back. He's planning to outlaw all firearms starting with the biggest.
    I have a rifle in .22 Short and am planning on burying it somewhere so I can retrieve it in case of emergency.

edit: dfletcher: I'm going to the 50DTC but it's a little questionable now since Diane Feinstein wants to outlaw it too since it compares ballisticly with .50BMG
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shute is correct, unless you already have a CA registered assault weapon and plan on adding a 50 BMG upper to that already registered AW lower. Specifically, if you have a CA registered AR 15 type AW you can add one of those bolt on barreled actions. That's about your only option on legally obtaining a 50 BMG, the other possibility being a semi version of the good old 50 BMG Cal M2 - since it's not a shoulder fired weapon and CA law specifically bans the 50 BMG round when used from a shoulder fired weapon, the M2 is a work around the law. Just a little side note, I'll bet everyone from a "normal" state reading this is just had a "What the hell?" moment, right?

Cartridges that are "almost" a 50 BMG are popular in CA - like the 510 DTC. It's built off the 50 BMG case, but is just a touch shorter. Since you are building a rifle chambering it in the 510 DTC wouldn't cost more, be just as easy to build.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=118406
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doug....... Can you tell me where the Cal law exempts the MA Deuce from the 50 cal ban because it is not a shoulder fired weapon?

I have looked all over the DOJ site for a definition that would exclude the BMG style guns. I cannot find any wording that specifically states the 50 has to be "shoulder fired". They refer to the 50 cal's as "rifles", but that could also cover tripod mounted guns.

I have a 50 cal "semi-auto" BMG that I had to register when our Governator signed the ban.

I dont believe the belt fed M-2's can be sold here anymore.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CA code 12278 defines the 50 BMG being banned in rifle configuration, CA code 12020 defines a rifle as a shoulder fired weapon. Since the M2 isn't a shoulder fired weapon it is not a rifle and not banned. Hit the link on my 1st post and you'll get the posting (page 3)with the CA codes.

The Calguns group knows alot more about this than me, they seem to have no trouble getting them & buying through our FFLs.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Performance of the Barret in the mideast apparently impressed foreign powers enough to field their own,
    In surfing a military site,I found a site showing a number of foreign powers, including China and Russia adopted similar rifles in 50BMG or very similar calibers.
    Even a silenced version of the 50 Cal.Whisper has been copied by Russia.
    The subsonic 50 Whisper, pushing a 750-900 high B.C. bullet could be interesting.
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    Doug:
    You mentioned that if you have a CA registered AR 15 type AW you can add a .50BMG bolt on barreled action legally.
    The way I read it-I don't see that if you have a registered .223 assault weapon you can change it into a .50BMG - anytime.

I could be wrong, chances-- one in a million. I was wrong once before,- in 1939 I think.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by I.Shute

Doug:
    You mentioned that if you have a CA registered AR 15 type AW you can add a .50BMG bolt on barreled action legally.
    The way I read it-I don't see that if you have a registered .223 assault weapon you can change it into a .50BMG - anytime.

I could be wrong, chances-- one in a million. I was wrong once before,- in 1939 I think.

Remembering 1939? Out of respect for my 107 year old Grandmother I'll refrain from any old(er) folks jokes. [:)]

This is not my strong point, but here is I believe the CA code that permits the use of a 50 BMG upper attached to an AR 15 type registered AW lower is:

12278. (a) As used in this chapter, a ".50 BMG rifle" means a center fire rifle that can fire a .50 BMG cartridge and is not already an assault weapon pursuant to Section 12276, 12276.1, or 12276.5, or a machinegun, as defined in Section 12200.

Your registered AR 15 lower, already being a CA registered AW, is allowed to carry on it's top a 50 BMG upper. The 50 BMG upper by itself isn't a firearm just as any other AR upper isn't a firearm nor is it a rifle until it is attached to the AR.

I believe the CA approach is that once you have an evil AW it can't be made more evil. I've bought a 7.62X39 upper and a 50 Beowulf upper to attach to registered AR 15 lowers, in effect you get 3 AWs off the same lower. And BTW, 50 Beowulf 7 round mags are exactly the same as 20 round 223 AR magazines, except for the printing on the floorplate. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=189868&t=11082005

Again,this isn't my strong point and you may want to hop on the CA specific Calguns net for more info.