In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shot show display guns.....

GunHawkeGunHawke Member Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
From the sunny south,

I'm going to go to my first Shot Show in Orlando. A past attendee tells me that all/most of the guns on display are "neutered"....ie. the firing pins are removed or some other piece missing....true?

Just a question I had no way of answering....

Thanks,
Jim
GunHawke

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    vicg1vicg1 Member Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    actually most are paper mache
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ever hear of a concept car at a car show?[;)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    David KennedyDavid Kennedy Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the interest of safety, the National Shooting Sports Foundation has determined that all firearms brought into the facility be made safe. From their own page - Only firearms on display by exhibitors whose firing pins have been removed (and have been tagged by SHOT SHOW Safety Advisors) will be permitted on the Show floor.

In addition, air cylinders have to be punctured and empty.

When you think about it, it makes sense. The last thing we would need is for someone to have a negligent (much less, purposeful) discharge. This occurs enough at regular gun shows (at least once or twice a year).

Dave K
  • Options
    blacarrowblacarrow Member Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Part of my job when I worked at Browning prior to retirement, was to remove the firing pins of all firearms sent to the SHOT Show.
    Most of the firearms were offered for sale at a later "Employee's Sale" in which I was happy to participate.
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun, enjoy your time at SHOT, its a blast. I went for the first time this year and am thinking about going back!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    that would be the day i'd let any moron take the firing pin out of a 50 year old NIB/cozo gun on display.[8]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    In the last 15 years I've seen 3 accidental discharges at gun shows.

Luckily no one was injured.

I don't think it's moronic to require firearms to be unshootable. You don't have to injure or cut a firearm in two to remove a firing pin!

An unmolested 16 year-old daughter - - -great, perfect, worth untold value. - - A modern 50 year-old gun, NIB, (fairly modern the way I classify firearms) in most cases- 95%, are worth about what they sold for. Most of us buy or make guns to shoot, hunt and play with.
    A few keep new guns as something to just look at and possibly be worth more in 50 years. I see no problem with them!
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since this show is for manufacturers to showcase their products, I doubt if there would be many 50 year old NIB guns on display. The models I saw on display when I went to the ones in Las Vegas were all new models. The only old model I saw was Jeff Cooper, and it was an honor to speak to him.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nope. cant agree. pulling firing pins is too liberal. it just promotes people to be more careless and stupid.
    its like saying you cant have wind fans because they are spinning, so lets just take off the blades, even though they are in a blade cage.[8]
    hey, those shotshells are LOADED! take out the primers![:o)]
    if you dont know the dangers of a gun....why in blazes are you going to a GUN SHOW?
    just my 2 cents worth.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    nope. cant agree. pulling firing pins is too liberal. it just promotes people to be more careless and stupid.
    its like saying you cant have wind fans because they are spinning, so lets just take off the blades, even though they are in a blade cage.[8]
    hey, those shotshells are LOADED! take out the primers![:o)]
    if you dont know the dangers of a gun....why in blazes are you going to a GUN SHOW?
    just my 2 cents worth.

I couldn't disagree more. I can understand not taking firing pins out of guns at local gun shows because there is the unwritten rule about not dry firing a gun at a gun show. This rule does not apply to the SHOT show because dealers are trying to get a feel for the quality of a gun they may purchase. I've been impressed by the looks and feel of many guns at the SHOT Show, and then pulled the trigger to find that it is crap. The manufacturers actually encourage you to try the triggers. There are thousands and thousands of people at the SHOT Show, and no, I'm not going to assume that they are all as smart as me about firearm safety.
    As far as buying one of the demo SHOT Show guns, you should go to the show and see how people treat the guns before spending any money on them. Usually the manufacturers that have pistols display them by setting them on a metal rod which goes down the barrel. All week, people are dragging those guns on and off of those rods and damaging the bore or crown, and like I mentioned before they may have been dry fired thousands of times. I save my money and buy something new or gently used.