In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

`Colt Dueling Pistols?

Mr3PuttMr3Putt Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi,

Wow, what a site! I've been looking for this group for years! Anyway, I would like to pick the brains of the experts here regarding the following Colt Pistols...

IMG_1490.jpg

The writing on the barrels (which I tried to photograph with little success)

reads: "Colt Single Action Frontier Scout .22 L.R."` On one.

And "Colt Single Action Frontier Scout .22 Magnum" on the other gun.

On the top of the barrels the text reads: "COLT'S PTFA MFG CO HARTFORD CT U.S.A."

There is a Colt logo on the left side of each gun right above the trigger. There are also sequential 4 digit numbers followed by the letter K, 18*1K & 18*2K, on the bottom of each piece.

The box as you can see it nicked and scratched, but the guns themselves appear to be in excellent condition. I don't think they have ever been fired.

IMG_1491.jpg

Here are some other photos...

IMG_1496.jpg
IMG_1497.jpg
IMG_1494.jpg

As you can probably guess I know very little about these guns. Any information, input, thoughts and opinions are welcome. Is there a way to find out the age and value of these?

A friend of mine has offered to clean and oil them for me. Since they have been in my possession for the past 15 years all I've ever done is, well nothing...

Any input welcome! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    A presentation or limited series. Serials will easily determine this if you request a letter. In this case I probably would as it might be of interest to find out exactly what you have.

These ARE NOT duelers under any circumstances.

Value? Small caliber rather late guns. Unless very special by virtue of a factory letter, I wouldn't plan my retirement based on their value.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nord
    A presentation or limited series. Serials will easily determine this if you request a letter.

Thanks for the quick response Nord!

Are the serial numbers the 4 digit number followed by the K on each piece? Those are the only numbers I see? If those aren't the serial numbers where else would the number be found? Where do I request a letter from? Colt I assume?

These aren't part of my retirement plan. My retirement plan is a work in progress that involves picking 6 numbers (plus the powerball)![:D]
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,713 ******
    edited November -1
    I had an exact identical set to those years ago. Those were the Colt Scout "K" series nickel plated sets. My serial numbers were 2314K and 2315K and were made in 1960 but Colt made them for another ten years.

Year / Beginning Serial Number
    1960 1K
    1961 3088K
    1962 15266K
    1963 17822K
    1964 19724K
    1965 21400K
    1966 25155K
    1967 31209K
    1968 35189K
    1969 40438K
    1970 43583K-43987K

I paid $300 for them back in the 1980's but the last set I saw sold recently for around $750.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    I had an exact identical set to those years ago. Those were the Colt Scout "K" series nickel plated sets. My serial numbers were 2314K and 2315K and were made in 1960 but Colt made them for another ten years.

1960 1K
    1961 3088K
    1962 15266K
    1963 17822K
    1964 19724K
    1965 21400K
    1966 25155K
    1967 31209K
    1968 35189K
    1969 40438K
    1970 43583K-43987K

I paid $300 for them back in the 1980's but the last set I saw sold recently for around $750.

Thanks Spider. (Love the crawling signature!)

So with my numbers being 1801K & 1802K they would be also be manufactured in 1960. (Dang, almost as old as me)

I also have two holsters for these, one is a shoulder holster and one looks like it would attach to your belt. They do have a Colt stamping in the leather. Were they part of the set or do you think they were add-ons?
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spider is correct. They are standard Frontier Scouts with a "K" suffix. A set that can be verified as correct and in like new condition can "knock your socks off" with what they might bring. The Blue Book of Gun Values shows a 100% premium for a cased set. Your pair looks to have been used, and if that is the case, you might be lucky to get book value with say a 50% premium.

Colt did make holsters for the Scouts, but I have never seen any that were configured for shoulder holsters.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr3Putt
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115

1960 1K
    1961 3088K
    1962 15266K
    1963 17822K
    1964 19724K
    1965 21400K
    1966 25155K
    1967 31209K
    1968 35189K
    1969 40438K
    1970 43583K-43987K

Thanks Spider. (Love the crawling signature!)

So with my numbers being 1801K & 1802K they would be also be manufactured in 1960. (Dang, almost as old as me)

I also have two holsters for these, one is a shoulder holster and one looks like it would attach to your belt. They do have a Colt stamping in the leather. Were they part of the set or do you think they were add-ons?

Holsters were not included and were definitely a later add-on. I think on auction, those would probably bring around $850-900 now.

Thanks for complimenting my picture. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    Spider is correct. They are standard Frontier Scouts with a "K" suffix. A set that can be verified as correct and in like new condition can "knock your socks off" with what they might bring. The Blue Book of Gun Values shows a 100% premium for a cased set. Your pair looks to have been used, and if that is the case, you might be lucky to get book value with say a 50% premium.

Colt did make holsters for the Scouts, but I have never seen any that were configured for shoulder holsters.

Thanks Kimi. Would you mind explaining what "book value with 50% premium" means? (keep in mind I'm clueless about this stuff)

Also, I found an old manual for this type of gun and it had it big bold letters Do Not "Fan" your colt revolver. What's that mean?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr3Putt
    quote:Originally posted by kimi

Thanks Kimi. Would you mind explaining what "book value with 50% premium" means? (keep in mind I'm clueless about this stuff)

Also, I found an old manual for this type of gun and it had it big bold letters Do Not "Fan" your colt revolver. What's that mean?

Thanks in advance.

By "50% premium", Kimi means that due to the factory cased set, you may be able to get up to 50% more in value than revolvers in the same condition without the case.

"Fanning" means holding the trigger back with one hand while cocking and releasing the hammer with the opposite hand so the trigger doesn't engage (like in old western movies). That can mess up the cylinder timing as well as break your firing pin.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you, Spider.

Mr3Putt: If your set of Colts here are in like new condition then they will command a premium which might be above what the Blue Book of Gun Values shows:

100% Condition - $600.00 x 2 = $1200.00 + *$1200.00 = $2400.00
    *Denotes 100% add on for double cased Scout set.

The case would have to be in like condition itself to bring the above estimated value as far as most collectors are concerned. Are there "any" very tiny feather like scratches to the metal finish on either Colt? There appears to be some small handling marks to the wood, and some slight wear to some of the sharp edges of the wood stocks. Is this the case? Small feather like scratches to the nickel finish, and any marks or wear on the grips will, of course, reduce the value of your very nice set of Colts. These type of marks will reduce the value to 95% or 90% with a significant reduction to the premium/add-on percentage:

95%: $425.00 x 2 = $850.00 + a reduced value to the premium/add-on percentage.

90%: $325.00 x 2 = $650.00 + $325.00 (50% premium/add-on percentage) = $975.00.

If your cased Colts show a mirror like nickel finish without any tiny feather like scratches, then I would like to be one of the bidders should you put them up for auction on Gunbroker! [:p]
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information guys.

As far as condition goes, aside from my fingerprints they look pretty clean. I polished the one area around the trigger with my shirt (pretty professional huh?) and it quickly came to a high gloss. I don't see any flaws but maybe I have the rose colored glasses on. Although I'm guessing that someone who had a shirt made just for cleaning guns would easily do a better job. [:D]

As you can see from the photo, the case is indeed nicked up from 48 years of storage...

Should I get the case refinished, or is that a collectors No No?

I don't think they have ever been fired, is there a simple way to test if one or both were fired? (I used my nose)