In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NMYERS/PERRY/RUFE.ANYONE:) Safety

COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
..with more dang Colt knowledge than me...and books with pics[:D] ya'll all have the good Colt books...I only have the DIY Kuhnhausen and those types [8D]...not many real pics, just drawings.

HELP, please....[;)]

...Im fixin' to send off a bunch of small parts to Metaloy to be blued, I don't need this but...I figure you can never have too many 1911 parts...and you just never know when you need a part, or two....or three.

...This thumb safety/lock susposedly came from an estate of an x-military brass....and the guy is selling Garand and other military weapon small parts. Parts were part of his MOS I guess...guys not too specific but does not seem to be trying to be vague on purpose...just doesn't know.

To be honest, I have never seen a safety for any service 1911 that looked like this, shape/serrations of the "tab" portion that is. Part is new/unused...honestly Ive not seen any safety with a "tab" like this one has..not the regular GI style for the A1, that Ive ever seen.
Ive not asked him yet...but it looks blued too, not parked, beats me...hpe ya'll know where it may have come from, civie or military..thanks!!

Really doesn't look too much like an after market "extended" part to me much either.

Anyone seen one like this? After market? Colt, yes/no?

Does the guy just "think" it came from a Coltservice weapon, or maybe even...God forbid...makin' it up [:D]...the upside down pic showing the back part close to where grip safety pin is...sure has that "Colt" look to it though.

Though unused and in good shape, has that "old" look to it, no?

Thanks in advance guys!!![^]

d11c_1.jpg
d311_1.jpg

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello IMHO aftermarket part not colt not military . BUT and a BIG BUT never say never when it comes to Colt or 1911 TYPE pistols. BE aware the fire control parts HAMMER HOOKS ,SEAR, disconnector and thumb SAFETY all need to work as a matched fitted part set, if you change one part or modify even one part you can end up with an unsafe pistol JUST to let you know part of this fitting may involve the use of stones or files on the new finish. Cheers Karl.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The serrations are OK, but nothing with that flat top & tab shown in my Clawson books. I'd say aftermarket manufacturer.

Neal

"Believe nothing that you hear, & only half of what you see."
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    aftermarket.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Made up by some gunsmith?? I,ve never seen one with a tab that is checkered.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a silver solder joint.
    I think it a shop made extended lever on a standard safety, whether commercial or GI. Friend of mine used to make them that way, before there were so many aftermarket safeties available.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Thanks guys. Yeah, I was leaning toward the after market idea too.
    ...Ive seen a ton of after market safeties and this did not ring a bell though.

The seller has at least two of these for sale, identical.

Perry, yes sir I know about the fitting part, Ive spent the best part of the last two days fitting several new parts to a new SS Commander Im working on, FINALLY...the Wilson BT gave me fits this time...ran my batteries down in my calipers getting this one fit...[:D]

...Thanks as always ya'll!..[^]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif