In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Can anyone identify this small pistol??

oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Frame is all brass, total length is 5.5". Has serial number 124 in bottom grip frame. Believe it is 22 cal.
[img][/img]Pistol1-1.jpg
[img][/img]Pistol.jpg Can't move the barrel so an unable to check out the bore.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the long barrel and square butt frame, it look like the one made by the Bacon Manufacturing Co. (.32 rimfire ). This would date to the years of the Civil War. A number of different gun making companies in New England, made similar single shot pistols though.

Because of it's "relic" condition, my WAG it would be in the $50-$150 range.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    is the bore rifled?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    is the bore rifled?

After what looks like, 100+ years in the ground. Not likely.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Looks like a H.C. Lombard & Company Single Shot Deringer To Me
    Made c. 1860's. Total Made estimated at several hundred...Fladerman's says its Identical to the Morgan and Clapp...If You can pickup a Fladermans theres a photo of one of these little guns....To Bad it can't speak....be an interesting Tale I'm sure.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Forgot to check my Fladermans. You guys are right on. It does look like it has an octagon barrel also. There are several brands that look pretty close. Any idea of value like it is? Thanks.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    was just wondering if it was a report pistol for celbration.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    was just wondering if it was a report pistol for celbration.

This type of pistol dates to the early years of the Civil War, when rimfire cartridge firearms were just coming into common use. Many were chambered for the same .22 & .32 rimfire cartridges that were used in the earliest S & W revolvers.

Because of their basic single shot mechanism they would be appreciably cheaper/durable, and less likely to malfunction then the S & W.

Also because S & W controlled the R. White patent, they would be the only way gun manufacturers could made cartridge handguns without being sued by S & W.
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was it found in a privy? I found something similar in an old out house in Tallahassee years ago. At least it had a brass frame. I havent looked at it in several years.

For what its worth there were bottles in the privy that dated from the 1860's to 1870's
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are collectors who love "dugups" and some bring serious money. If you decide to auction it, use the word dugup in your title to get their attention.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the info. I bought it from an estate and they new no background on its origin. [:(] If only guns could talk.