In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RUGER P85

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I found a P85 with the case & two magazines for $250.00. It seems like a good deal judging by what the blue book says. My main question is are these good guns? I have never owned a Ruger, but need to have a larger caliber carry gun. Any info is definately appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    hello what is the value i know i dont have pics but it is 98 percent gun in the box and outer cardboard box with 4 extra 15 round magazines that are new. blued
    that way i have an idea on starting price when listed.
    thanks
    it is a ruger p-85 no updates from ruger yet 1989 production 300-72225, in the ruger plastic case withe the manual, plastic bag for the gun, ruger lock, 2 magazines and everything it came with plus the outer box that covers the black plastic case. and 4 extra magazines. the only wear is just the rear of the barrel but it might clean up fine but i havent tried. other wise the rest of the p-85 looks like it has never been out of the box. i used the magazine in the gun but dont think i ever used the other 5.
    lee all the auctions you showed were p89.
    the magazine that i used does not even show any wear at all. i think i might have shot 30 rounds through it but not sure but it looks great.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    They are not very ergonomic but they shoot well and reliably. The p85 had a recall on the safety and if it was reapired there should be a MKII stamping on the safety lever like on my fathers. If not, Ruger still repairs them and gives you an extra mag for the trouble.

Now if yours is a P85 MKII model, then its already ok.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine works great all the time,and you can run any kind of ammo through it. They are not picky.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you both for the helpful information.

Aaron
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The trigger pull on the P85 is pretty harsh. I installed Wolff springs in the one I had years ago and it made a huge difference. The trigger pull was one of the improvements that Ruger did on the P89. The Wolff kit made the P85 trigger feel like the P89 trigger.

The P85 is a very tough pistol. Like stated above make sure there is a MKII stamp on the safety arm or that it is a P85 MKII. I bought mine in 1988 I believe. It was $300.00. I had to send mine back for the recall but never did get my magazine.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carried a P85 as a sidearm for serveral years. It never malfunctioned and I only fired hollowpoint ammo in it. It is NOT a target pistol and was never meant to be. It is a very sturdy and reliable sidearm. Since I retired the P85 has been my home defense gun.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,613 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I got a P85 for Christmas 1989 or 1990. Have run 1000-1500 rounds with no malfunctions even sometimes using 20 round aftermarket mags. Mine does not like 115 grain bullets, grouping them in paper plate+ size groups at 20-25 yards. With 124-127 grain bullets it cuts the group size down to 5"- 6".
  • Options
    agostinoagostino Member Posts: 414 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may not be a target pistol, but I've found mine to be quite accurate at 50 yards. I was using Wolf ammo, but you're right; it will eat anything.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the input. I did purchase the gun today and the insight was helpful.

GOD rules!!

Aaron