In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How does one cure AK 47 "Trigger Slap"?

roybmeroybme Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
What causes the painful "trigger slap" condition common in some AK 47s, and how is it prevented?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Search the forum archives for "slap".

Neal
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    roybme,
    Welcome to the forums here on Gun Broker.

That is an issue that is most apparent in the Romanian made AK's. The way around it is to get the drop in kit from TAPCO, or take your parts out and deburr them. The latter is what I done to mine, as I was having other issues where the disconnector would not let the hammer down to the sear...you got it...because there was a burr stopping them from moving freely.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought the Tapco trigger assembly and installed it...the trigger is wonderful now! It used to slap the crap outta my finger making the rifle no fun to shoot! Here is a link:
    http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=39_45&products_id=156

Here is a link to a GB seller:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=109535096
  • Options
    mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is part of the "lure" of the AK.

Power Custom / Red Star Arms makes a good replacement trigger. They also stand behind their products. Miss RSA is not bad either.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,564 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/slapfix.htm

If you have a Romanian AK with a Century fire control group you will know what slap is. Century marks their trigger, disconect, and hammer with a "C." Easiest and cheapest fix is to replace the fire control group with a Single Hook Tapco G2 FCG.

I have Tapco G2's in all 5 of my AK's.
  • Options
    zx9rt1zx9rt1 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/slapfix.htm

If you have a Romanian AK with a Century fire control group you will know what slap is. Century marks their trigger, disconect, and hammer with a "C." Easiest and cheapest fix is to replace the fire control group with a Single Hook Tapco G2 FCG.

I have Tapco G2's in all 5 of my AK's.

You are not kidding! I had a Romanian AK that would bruise my trigger finger! Wouldnt do it all the time wich almost made you flinch every time you pulled the trigger. What an experience!

Michael
  • Options
    roybmeroybme Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help, folks. I kind of knew about the Tapco TG replacement as a possible cure for the slap issue. I've seen a couple of complaints elsewhere on the net that claimed upgrading the TC did not help at all, and sometimes made the problem worse. The writers that said this offered no alternatives though.

Thanks again
    roybme
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roybme
    Thanks for the help, folks. I kind of knew about the Tapco TG replacement as a possible cure for the slap issue. I've seen a couple of complaints elsewhere on the net that claimed upgrading the TC did not help at all, and sometimes made the problem worse. The writers that said this offered no alternatives though.

Thanks again
    roybme

Its a DEFINITE cure for the slap.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,564 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roybme

Thanks again
    roybme

Those guys are FOS IMHO. Only receiver the Tapco G2 Single hook won't work in is the No Dak Spud NDS-3 receiver. If you have a gun with that receiver you will want to cut a slit in the trigger hole of the receiver for a second trigger hook and use a Tapco G2 double hook.

Here's what a single receiver looks like compared to a double hook receiver.

double_single.jpg
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Disconnector spring is too heavy. Also, polish rear hooks of of hammer and disconnector.
    Verify before loading and shooting that the disconnector holds the hammer back while the trigger is held back and the bolt is repeatedly slammed shut. Also be sure the hammer doesn't fall as the trigger is released.