In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stevens Favorite question

calamitywoodcalamitywood Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a Stevens Favorite .22 #677. How do I tell if it is an antique?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am researching a Stevens Favorite rifle. I did a search on gungroker but didn't find what I have. This model has a nickel plated receiver. other than that it looks just like the ones on the auction side. the barrel says J. Stevens A&t co chicoppe falls sept. _?_ 94. under the receiver it says u 626. My question, is the nickel plating aftermarket work or did Stevens produce some with nickel receivers?
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I'm certainly not an expert,but I have done a fair bit of reading on Stevens since I too have several of his guns in the safe.

I don't have my "Stevens" book with me at the moment,but I can say that I've never seen one with a plated receiver or recall mention of such in any of the stuff I've studied on them.

I'd have to guess that it is aftermarket.

But that's just me.

BW
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you for your response. I don't remember one being plated either that's why I asked here. It's a shame too because this is a clean little rifle. I imagine that it ruined the value of the gun when it was plated.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a Stevens "expert" by any stretch of the imagination. That said, I would be rather surprised if Stevens did not offer or make rifles with nickle plating. Nearly all of the major firearms manufacturers who were in business in the 1870s - 1920s offered or made guns that were nickle plated. Winchester for example, offered it as a special order finish on all of their lever-actions, and the Model 1885 single shot. It was also available on their early slide-action .22 rifles.

As for it ruining the value on your rifle... maybe not.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert. I hope you're correct. The gun belongs to a friend and I din't want to have to give him the bad news [:)]
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Come to think of it,Stevens did plate the receivers on the earlier "TIP UP" rifles,pistols too I think.

Could be factory,I guess.

BW
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok I guess I'll post some pics when I get a chance and maybe I can get him a ball park value on it. thx
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    My vote is for not original. I looked thru my Savage Stevens Collectors guide (J. Kimmel) and saw 0 mention of such as finish.
    I will say that IMO this is a fairly poor Reference book that I have personally discovered leaves out alot of info. But it's the best he have as far as I know.
  • Options
    GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a range buddy that has exactly what you are mentioning. his is a 12 gauge single shot break open/tip up barrel. its nickel plated. as far as we know its original. IMHO old nickel finishes have a distinct look to it. its certainly different than a new nickel plating finish.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The tip ups were made earlier than the Favorites and were nickel plated. I am not the worlds expert but have been collecting Stevens for many years and have a lot of reference material. I have never seen a Favorite that was Nickel plated or reference to one yet.