In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gastinne Renette pistol info Part II

MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
These were called "assault pistols" and were used in Dueling practice with light loads and wax (or something soft) bullets. They came in pairs and the screw on the front of the trigger guard is for a removable handguard (shield). There was even a Society of Assault that folks belonged to. Many years ago there was a article on these type pistols in the "GUN REPORT" but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Comments

• joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As you point out, those intended for dueling practice came in pairs, but the one I owned and the other 2 I've seen were cased individually and were proofed for standard loads.
  • GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can anyone provide a date of manufacture from the pictures of the proof marks I posted in the previous listing? or do I need to post them again?
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you will take good focused pix of the markings I will try to ID them for you. What I saw before were too fuzzy or unfocused for me. Either post pix here or direct to rhmc24@yahoo.com
    edited November -1
    I have been unable to get any better pictures of the proof marks. I can see a "10.4", an "AE", a small star over "BA", a crown over an "R", and a crown on top of an oval containing "E" over "LG". Also a small crown or star over what looks like a fancy capital A with the right leg curved up forming a backwards J over a spike on a diamond base (this appears on the underside of the barrel and on the top of the frame where the barrel rests). There is a 0on the bottom of the barrel aheadof the forend, followed by 104 alinged with the bore, followed by 55 across the bottom flat and 11 across the bottom flat under the forend. I am guessing the 104 is most likely the serial number?? Thanks for any help. Gunswapper sportsmans@alltel.net
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    10.4 = bore diameter in millimeters. About right for a .44R.
    (Crown)ELG = the standard Belgian proofmark since 1810, the crown added in 1893.
    The "spike on a diamond base" is most likely a tower on a stepped platform, the Perron. Used in one or another Belgian proof mark set since 1672!
    (Crown)R = Belgian proof mark for a rifled barrel.

Other marks are not on my list of Belgian or French proof marks, but the gun was obviously actually built in Belgium, even though sold in France.
    edited November -1
    I will try the proofmark pics again:

[img][/img]gr13.jpg

[img][/img]gr12.jpg
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The intertwined EL is another standard Belgian proofmark. I have seen the AE mark somewhere but cannot find it today. (Star)SA might be a Belgian inspector's mark, but all the others I have seen were a single letter.
  • MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    I have listed this on the auction site starting at $2500.00. This belongs to a friend and he set the price. Is the price realistic?
  • MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess you did not believe me or you did not look at the link I posted. The screw in the trigger guard is not for a stock, it's for a shield to protect the shooter.
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I will correct my listing. I had missed your response. Gunswapper.