In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good cheap AK-47 ammo?

honkwilliamshonkwilliams Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
I just got my first AK-47 (Romanian WASR). Now I need to buy some ammo. Can anyone recommend some decent, inexpensive but not overly corrosive 7.62 x 39 ammo? I can't wait to shoot it. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    WickyWicky Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just bought my first AK Friday. I bought 50 boxes of Herters ammo at Cabelas.com for $3.99 a box and if you do it now, you get $20 off the purchase.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    herters is russian not corrosive, wolf, tula, i like golden tiger if you can find it
  • Options
    honkwilliamshonkwilliams Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fordsix, do you mean Golden Bear?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More like Brown Bear. If you just want to make noise, the BB/Herters is as good as any. If you're more interested in hitting something, you'll need to try different brands/types of ammo until you find one that works best in your rifle.
  • Options
    CDMeadCDMead Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by honkwilliams

All the Bear brand ammunition (Brown, Silver and Gold) is made by Barnual. They also make the steel cased Monarch private brand that is sold at Academy Sports.

Golden Tiger is made my Vympel and is also my favorite 7.62 X 39 ammo.

The only thing I would suggest is to be careful with the Yugoslavian surplus right now as it is corrosive.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CDMead
    quote:Originally posted by honkwilliams

All the Bear brand ammunition (Brown, Silver and Gold) is made by Barnual. They also make the steel cased Monarch private brand that is sold at Academy Sports.

Golden Tiger is made my Vympel and is also my favorite 7.62 X 39 ammo.

The only thing I would suggest is to be careful with the Yugoslavian surplus right now as it is corrosive.

Agree with all of above. The "Tulammo" (obviously) is made by the Tula plant in Russian. It may (or may not, depending on lot) be the same exact stuff as the ammo branded as "Wolf".

Anyway, here is a good quick rundown on the different types of Russian military-type steel case ammo out there for your AK-pattern gun:

http://tinyurl.com/7gcnumq

While some of this stuff is better than others, in various ways (power, accuracy, cleanliness of burning, etc), its all steel case ammo, and probably none of it will achieve what you might term "match" grade accuracy.

FWIW, the Yugo surplus is, indeed, corrosive, but its also probably the most powerful and accurate of the cheap ammo that's out there right now, plus it has brass cases, which certainly isn't a bad thing.

Again, if you've got a Romanian WASR, you're probably shouldn't expect pinpoint accuracy, but to the extent that you want it, if you are willing to clean your gun thoroughly with hot soapy water after you get back from the range, you might like the Yugo stuff.
  • Options
    ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not tried it, but Wideners and Aim have Klimovsk (Russian) fmj non corrosive for $189 per 1000. That is the best I have seen lately.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    aimsurplus is running a case of 1120 rounds 7.62x39 on strippers for about $250 delivered, or you can get the 1260 round case in boxes for the same money. Or close to it. I got a case of each.

I think I am set for life. The stuff is brass case, corr (which means nothing if you clean your gun) it is bi metal surplus ammo, but its cheap. I think less than .20 a round delivered.
  • Options
    goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    1120 rounds 7.62x39 on strippers for about $250 delivered, or you can get the 1260 round case in boxes for the same money.

I think I am set for life. ...but its cheap. I think less than .20 a round delivered.

To think I used to sell the stuff back in 99 at gun shows for 90 bucks a thousand and now $250 is considered cheep. Back then a case was good for a days shooting, not for life. How things change. Remember when you could get a brick of 22 hollow points for 9 bucks?
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another fan of Golden Tiger here.
    Find it is more consistant than Wolf.

Not a fan of corrosive ammo.
    A. I'm lazy.
    B. Seen 2 rifles ruined by corrosive ammo.

Can't be lazy and shoot corrosive ammo.
    It will eat your bore & gas tube if you don't flush it out right away. Shoot it and put it away without cleaning for a month or two and you will come back to rusted gun.