In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

MAK 90? Bang Bang!!

WickyWicky Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
Wanted an AK for a long time now and finally, after looking at a bunch of flimsy crooked guns, I found this lil gem MAK 90 at a local pawn shop for less than $400. So, the question is, it doesn't have that cool european/ak muzzle break and probably could use one after shooting it for the first time yesterday. I know there are bolt ons out there but, I want something permanent. Anybody out there in AK land have any suggestions? This barrel has the typical machining on the outside that looks like super fine threads that aren't actual threads. Also, I assume the MB needs to be made in the US for whatever crap law there is to save ourselves from ourselves.
Thanks for the help,
Wicky

Comments

• ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take the rifle to a gunsmith and have the barrel threaded. You also will need at least 5 other USA parts to be 922r legal. Butt stock, pistol grip, foregrips, gas piston, fire control group (3 parts) mag (3 parts). These in any combination will get the required parts needed. The receiver and barrels can also be USA made but not likely on a Chinese rifle. Enjoy your MAK 90 they are good quality and that is a very good price.
  • gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being 922r compliant may depend on when the firearm entered the country. Someone else will chime in. ( 922 hasn't existed forever)

Good follow-up shots are not hard with this soft recoiling gas-gun.
    I don't see the need for a brake, but it won't hurt if you want one.

A 'pin on' muzzle brake would do. Threading your barrel can be a good thing down the road, and you can use a common screw on slant brake.

ENJOY !
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There have been many times that I made cars & guns look "cool" in my youth.

Looking back, I always regretted it.

YMMV

Neal
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gotstolefrom
    Being 922r compliant may depend on when the firearm entered the country. Someone else will chime in. ( 922 hasn't existed forever)
    There never was a pre-ban MAK-90, they are all post-ban
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6 parts if you thread the muzzle. 5 parts if you don't for pistol grip legality.

3 of those parts can be magazine parts.
  • Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Russian rifles have left hand threads! I have the tool to thread the barrel and after threading two barrels I have no use for it. I don't know anything about the other breaks just the Russian. I would not think that the break would make much difference shooting the rifle simi auto, your call.

Emmett